Steering wheel loose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thomasphx

Reaction score
Hello - all of a sudden my steering wheel is loose and sometimes 'locks' and rubs against something when turning. You can actually move the wheel back and forth. I took off the cover and the main bolt is tight. I got under the dash and the movement is not passing to the Ujoint under the dash. The problem is before it reaches the Ujoint. It is almost like a bearing went bad and everything is loose now. Has anyone heard of this before? Do I need a new steering column? Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
T

thomasphx

Reaction score
Hello - all of a sudden my steering wheel is loose and sometimes 'locks' and rubs against something when turning. You can actually move the wheel back and forth. I took off the cover and the main bolt is tight. I got under the dash and the movement is not passing to the Ujoint under the dash. The problem is before it reaches the Ujoint. It is almost like a bearing went bad and everything is loose now. Has anyone heard of this before? Do I need a new steering column? Thanks in advance.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi Thomas,

Yep..., that's a "park'n-no-drive" kinda thing.

Doubt you need a new column but, shaft(s) & maybe joints are likely in order, from what you describe.

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Thomas

I believe that this is the area of that u-joint under dash

collapsible intermediate shaft @ U-joint at lower end of steering column

96collapsible intermediate shaft from U-joint at lower end of steering column.gif

Here are instructions by Ford for a 96, but 99.999999999% = to your 94

Could be the Steering Column Tube Bearing, Upper and/or Lower

When checking steering wheel (3600) free play, also check for radial play or wobble between the steering wheel and steering column shaft. Any free play detected reflects wear in the steering column bearing (3517) and can add to apparent free play. Refer to Section 11-04 for steering column tube service procedures.

READ ALL AIR BAG Warnings!

I disconnect battery by removing a battery terminals (Remove both) then wait 30 minutes before attempting any work on the airbag circuits; I have found a few vehicles that had an aftermarket component in it that had a 12v DC or higher re-chargeable battery so look for any add-on accessories connected to batty and starter relay and fuse boxes (at Main Power Distribution Box next to air filter; and relay box next to it and inside fusel panel

broncodriver33

Reaction score
I had a 93 bronco same thing happened to me. the steering wheel was flopping all around it was the upper bearing in the column that was bad in mine i just went to local junk yard and pulled a column out of an f150. was not very hard to replace. unless you have an air bag

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rhands