Fuel pump working 40 psi on rail no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, everyone - read through here and I have a similar issue...

Crank, fire, but no fuel to start up. No fuel pump sound. Replaced fuel pump relay under hood just hoping (it is 34 years old), because honestly it's a classic "ran when parked 3 weeks ago" scenario and I just knew it was that...

Aside from possible fuse(s) -which as I gather is #9 in the box (any others?)- anything else to check before I drop the tank?

Again, from all indicators it's the original fuel pump, as these were the original relays, and last fall I found a factory spark-a-lator in cyl 7...

Oh, I'm about to check the MAP trick I read above my post...

UPDATE: MAP trick doesn't change results - sinking feeling my fuel pump died. Any other tips? Also, no CEL lights, etc. No fuel smell.

I will update if/when she's up and running again View attachment 32246
The fuel pump relay.

Do you feel or hear it click on when you turn the key on?
Do you have someone to help you test it? It only stays on for a few seconds after you turn the key on.

After that you can pull the relay and use a paper clip to jumper from Yellow to pink/black and that should turn the pump on. If not, then take a test light and check for power at the tank.
If you have power at the tank, then you need a pump.

If you do not have power at the tank then move to the interia, or safety switch.

One other thing to check is the tank ground. Does the fuel gauge work? Or is it pegged?

Screenshot_20230915-093903_Drive.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheBroncoBob