ignition key won't go into key tumbler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Virgil

Reaction score
Like the title says, my ignition key won't go into the ignition switch.

I had a problem with the ignition not being able to go into the accessory position and replacing the ignition switch (electrical switch at bottom of column) fixed it. I was really happy with myself until later in the day when I went to drive the truck and the key will no longer go into the ignition tumbler.

I thought that it may have to do with the steering wheel lock so I took the steering wheel off to look at it. The wheel is removed and the turn signal switch is pulled back out of the way and this really was no help at. all. Everything is good except that the key tumbler is messed up.

EDIT:

I should have mentioned that I also removed the electrical switch again to see if the actuator rod was still connected and it appears to be fine. The key switch wiggles when I push and pull on the actuator rod.

So has anone dealt with this in the past? Any ideas on how to get the tumbler removed without putting the key in and turning it to the on position?

Thanks in advance, Mike.
Hello Mike, probably fix your problem already but, if you need a new ignition switch and keys you can find a good deal at Rock Auto. I replaced mine with their part. Perfect
My 88 bronco 2 needs the whole assembly replaced. Couldn't get the old key lock out so had to drill it out. That wrecked all the guts. Do you know where I can get replacement parts? Thank you, Virgil

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Mike,
Sorry, bad vision day again, .Kingfish with an 88 wrote elsewhere: "the first time my ignition cylinder broke, a locksmith fixed it and said NEVER use graphite if you live in very humid places as it can junk up really bad which caused the problem..,
Another thing is that if the steering wheel is locked to one side (from turning the wheel with the key out till it clicks) then the key wont turn until you turn the wheel the direction its locked in while turning the key. i used to do this to friends to **** them off cause they wouldnt know how to start there car.
if its your 88 thats broken then its like a 1 minute replacement. however i never had to replace my 96 and it looks quite abit harder due to trim"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradgrim490