Transfer case slips out of 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wyo58

Reaction score
Sadly it gets worse as they also had slip yoke tail shafts on some of the larger vehicles, could be a long one or a short one as well. I'm right there with ya on the old part Tiha!

wyo58

Reaction score
Update: with the Rabs module un-plugged it made no difference, it still pops out in 4wd high. I have one more thing to try and I will let you know if it works.

wyo58

Reaction score
Okay so what I did was to cut power between the module and the shift motor leaving all power supplied to the module alone. In park with the manual hubs locked in, engine off key in the run position I pushed the 4 wheel drive button, I heard the shift motor shift to 4wd. the 4x4 light came on then I killed power to the shift motor. Started the vehicle and it stayed in 4x4 and all the lights stayed on which they should. I drove around for about 30 minutes and it stayed in 4x4 the whole time. It usually would pop out on coast slight down hill. It never did so for whatever reason the module is supplying power one way or the other slightly and spinning the shift shaft just enough to be in between producing a neutral condition. Why it is doing it I have no idea, but the problem is definitely electrical. After the test I placed it in park shut the engine off, reconnecting the shift motor terminals, then key to run position pushed the 4wd button to take it out of 4wd, then released the hubs to free. Started the unit up and checked to make sure it was in 2wd. So I believe that there is something faulty in the shift module that is causing the problem. I'm seriously thinking about installing a double pole, double throw relay on the shift motor lines on the module so that I can **** those wires after the initial shift in and out.

wyo58

Reaction score
To add to the above post I also killed the wire to the magnetic clutch coil as well so all three were cut after it was shifted into 4wd. So if I do it I will use a three pole, double throw relay to be able to disconnect all three wires at once.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheBroncoBob