Cant adjust my timing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

I understand.  My much better half was hospitalized for a week and I was mindless. 

Right!  When Starting:•The engine requires an unrestricted amount of air to start, so EEC opens the IAC 100%. 

IDLE:•As soon as the engine RPM self sustains and begins to stabilize we now need air to Idle. Air is allowed in from in front of the closed throttle body, and bypasses the throttle body plate. The air is then released into the open intake track flowing directly to the cylinders. The whole idea behind this is simply a way for the computer to give air to the engine without needing a driver. The IAC is not opened like door half way, its either open or closed completely. The EEC sends many pulses per second to flutter the IAC open and closed. It flutters so fast that you should notice any RPM fluctuation with a functional IAC. This fluttering is called duty cycle, when it's calculated a percentage of on time. So when the IAC is off it is at 0%, when it is fully open it is at 100%, and any RPM in-between.

read more if needed at http://web.archive.org/web/20101201013829/http://fordfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=39

Cleaning Procedures as Shown in Idle Air Control (IAC) Sludge; Poor Idle TSB 91-25-07 for 85-92 Bronco & F Series & many others; "...Hard cold starts, hesitation and stalls on initial start-up or during idle or decel may be caused by sludge in the throttle body and/or idle by-pass valve. Sludge deposits or oil film on the throttle body bore and plate or the idle air by-pass valve may cause one or more of the following conditions. Hard Cold Start, Stall On Initial Start-Up, Stall During Idle, Stall During Decel, Rough Idle, Rolling Idle, Hesitation During Acceleration. A new idle air by-pass service kit (F2PZ-9F939-A) [miesk5 note, see * below] is now available for service use to correct sludge contamination concerns of the throttle bore and plate only. It eliminates the need to clean the majority of past model throttle body applications. Cleaning is not required on sludge tolerant throttle body designs released for 1991 and newer model years..." by Ford

* see how Nelbur trimmed his IAC gasket @ 

Reaction score
Anyone got any advice for removing the torque bolt on the upper intake?

I can fit in and everything  I just can't get the sob to budge. I've got it soaking in pb blaster and wd 40 atm. I'm worried I'm going to strip it if I keeping trying
i was able to find a 'low profile' set of 1/4 and 3/8 drive sockets from oreallys that dealt with the torx bolt on those 5.0/5.8 upper plenums... pretty sure that was a day where i went back to the auto parts store twice. super annoying. the oreally part number for the low pro sockets was Part # GM8387 Line code: PTT. worked great for me.

OP
OP
89broncodude

89broncodude

Reaction score
Ok, pretty sure the TB is good and IAC is good.(cleaned it out for good measure)

I sprayed B-12 almost everywhere under the hood and could not find any vacuum leaks.

For now I'm going back to the only code I pulled which was #34.

Voltage checks out excellent on EVP and  Vacuum regulator.  So far I've replaced the egr valve,vacuum regulator,evp,egr tube,vacuum lines, and the vacuum resivour...

The only possible thing I can think of is that maybe the EVP and the egr valve arnt fitting and the little pin in the EVP isn't hitting the one in the EGR Valve. I purchased the duralast egr valve at autozone and for some reason the employee was being difficult and said they did not sell an EVP. So I went to Napa and bought a BWD brand EVP and was still pulling code 34...

Do you  think maybe there is a brand difference here that's preventing the EVP from making contact with the EGR?I seem to remember reading on one of the countless egr threads that brand difference can be an issue.... I've recently found out that they DO  sell a Duralast EVP at autozone so I'm going to order one today. ...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
89broncodude

89broncodude

Reaction score
i was able to find a 'low profile' set of 1/4 and 3/8 drive sockets from oreallys that dealt with the torx bolt on those 5.0/5.8 upper plenums... pretty sure that was a day where i went back to the auto parts store twice. super annoying. the oreally part number for the low pro sockets was Part # GM8387 Line code: PTT. worked great for me.
I appreciate the advice but my redneck duck tape setup seems to have worked lol

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane