2.9 to 4.0 engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

grumpy old man

Reaction score
While I see the logic in using the complete frame out of the Explorer in many ways I am working in flintstone conditions. While I have a lot of equipment the one thing I do not have is a hoist. Therefore no way to lift the body and roll another frame under it, unless you can show me how to build a magic levitating machine.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
While I see the logic in using the complete frame out of the Explorer in many ways I am working in flintstone conditions. While I have a lot of equipment the one thing I do not have is a hoist. Therefore no way to lift the body and roll another frame under it, unless you can show me how to build a magic levitating machine.
Nope, had to beg borrow and steal in my early stock car days. I have am old 2 post I put in my shop now. (It is worth its weight in Rhodium!)
Cheers

OP
OP
G

grumpy old man

Reaction score
I have been disassembling the explorer in the back yard one bolt at a time. Trying to take something apart in such a way as to salvage the salable items is a BI..... They are designed to snap together on the assembly line but not to snap apart under any circumstances.

The more I get into it the more convinced I become that there is no possible way to do this swap without using the Explorer frame. I am now thinking about some wierd ways to pick it up and support it. I have a large pile of square and retangular steel tubing in the back yard that I can use to support it I just need to figure out a way to jack up the B2 body. I looked up the weight and it is 3700 lbs.+ -. Figure that at least half of that weight is frame and running gear puts the body at less than 2k which is not that heavy.

Welding up a support should not be too difficult, however jacking it up enough to roll a chassis and engine out and then another one in is another story. I can get a well used floor mount really cheap but the only place I have to put it is my side yard which is slightly less than 10 feet and I need slightly over 12.

Oh Well

L\Bronco

Reaction score
I have been disassembling the explorer in the back yard one bolt at a time. Trying to take something apart in such a way as to salvage the salable items is a BI..... They are designed to snap together on the assembly line but not to snap apart under any circumstances.

The more I get into it the more convinced I become that there is no possible way to do this swap without using the Explorer frame. I am now thinking about some wierd ways to pick it up and support it. I have a large pile of square and retangular steel tubing in the back yard that I can use to support it I just need to figure out a way to jack up the B2 body. I looked up the weight and it is 3700 lbs.+ -. Figure that at least half of that weight is frame and running gear puts the body at less than 2k which is not that heavy.

Welding up a support should not be too difficult, however jacking it up enough to roll a chassis and engine out and then another one in is another story. I can get a well used floor mount really cheap but the only place I have to put it is my side yard which is slightly less than 10 feet and I need slightly over 12.

Oh Well
I'm not sure how you are set up, but, if you pull the engine and tranny\T-case out of both, then take off the body, it will reduce the required height a lot.
The shell will be well under 2k (I've never weighed one, but 2 of us could move the 79 shell around on the hoist arms without catastrophe)
Make some tall 3 legged stands to hit the pinch welds that will hold it up high enough (hopefully) then remove all the body mount bolts, grounds and connectors, remove the master cyl and undo the steering column and shift linkage. Don't forget the filler neck for the gas tank.
once everything is undone, lift on the frame\diffs to the desired height, put your stands under the pinch welds and let the chassis down under it.
That's how I used to do it before I got my hoist.
Good luck!
Cheers

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I have done body swaps on a suburban. Hence why we didn't do the excursion that way LOL

But Took the front clip off, Unhooked all we could from the body. Used jacks to jack it up. It was a project for sure. Plus we did it on dirt, not concrete.

But we got it done. So it can be done. Just not fun.

OP
OP
G

grumpy old man

Reaction score
I just about have every salable and flammable part off of the explorer. Tomorrow Me and the plasma are going to start reducing the body to bite size peices so I can get someone to haul it off. Don't know about where you are but around here there are about half a dozen people that advertise they will pick up metal for free. I have used them in the past and they will take it all.

That leaves me with a pile of useable body parts, complete undented front end, four clean doors, and a pile of interior that is cleaner than it should be for a 2007. hopefully I can find buyers.

OP
OP
G

grumpy old man

Reaction score
My original plan was to cut the body into pieces and remove it from the chassis a piece at a time, when it dawned on me that there was still a gas tank with enough fuel in it to register on the gas gauge. I may not be the smartest guy on the block but I am smart enough to realize that a torch and a plasma cutter should not be in the vicinity of a gas tank. So I renewed my acquaintance with that irritating rodent named mickey and did figure out how to get the chassis out from under the empty explorer body. Will post pictures of that mess when I can get the help from my granddaughter.

I rolled the chassis up into the side yard which gave me a little room to remove the engine, trans and transfercase, load them onto the lift gate of my step van and get them into the garage. I am now trying to take off the heads so I can get them over to my friend that will redo them and see what the cylinder walls have to say. Problem is that I cannot get the plenum to pop loose. with the engine on the floor I can see the entire plenum and there are no more bolts in it so apparently it is the glue on the gaskets holding it. I really don't want to break the blasted thing. With the engine on the floor even if the walls are good I at least want to put in rings, bearings and timing chains.

I do have the cam covers off and this thing is immaculate on the inside. I will guarantee that it has had very regular oil changes with a good grade of oil.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcarrillo