2.9 to 4.0 engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

grumpy old man

Reaction score
Hey Bronco, How did the retune go?

Did finally get the Bronco smogged and the code 41 seems to be fine at freeway speeds. Now it is more likely to pop the CEL driving around in a parking lot. When I think to keep one eye on the light it seems to pop when I close the throttle. I drive it quite regularly, need to check it out so it makes it to University of Oregon without any trouble. It runs great trans couldn't work any better the only thing I notice is that on a cold start the idle is all over the place until the engine is up to temp. I am about 70% back from the lung surgery, I can now do light duty things as long as I do stretching exercises first. One day soon I thinkI will take off the idle module off and see what I can see. It is sitting right on the side of the plenum and doesn't look too difficult.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Thats awesome news!
Id check the base idle, also called hard stop. Warm it right up and let it idle with all accessories off. Unplug the idle speed control solenoid and it should drop to around 550,
If it stalls, clean the throttle body with aerosol throttle body spray and an old tooth brush and try again, if it still drops too low or stalls, adjust the throttle stop ***** until it idles at 550ish unplugged.
The new tuneup is working better, we had our best 60 foot times ever. We broke the diff and the output shaft in the trans, so no joy
Good luck
Cheers

OP
OP
G

grumpy old man

Reaction score
Well it obviously is putting out the horsepower, now to get it to the asphalt.

Believe it or not with an overstuffed garage, a backyard shed and an 18 foot morgan olson step van I dont have a hand held tach. Hopefully the one in the instrument cluster is reasonably accurate. I have had the plenum off several times playing with injectors and have cleaned it out the best I can with what passes for carburetor cleaner now days.

On a totally unrelated subject the step van speedometer quit working. I bought the thing really cheap and knowing what I know now I question the decision. It is an unlkely conglomeration of different systems. Chassis is Freightliner, now known as Damler, (German junk electronics). Cummins engine, Allison transmission and Morgan Olson body. Everybody supplied their own electronics, which makes chasing wiring a total nightmare. Do you happen to know anyone that can supply an all inclusive wiring diagram. I suspect the problem to be in the trans control module but would like to eliminate a wiring problem before spending $1200.00 on one.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Thats the plan for Boise next month!
550ish is smooth but noticably slower than the 750 it idles at in neutral plugged in. Close should be good enough, they can adapt quite a bit.

Sorry, no idea on tge wiring diagrams

Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane