Intake leaking antifreeze

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

rogmit

Reaction score
Supreme Commander,would I want to rotate the engine to change the valve lift or do I just see if the rockers are loose.I'm waiting for the header gasket to come in.Edelbrock recommended Fel Pro gaskets.I've got Flowmtech headers and I had the gaskets from Flowtech which were like a multi-layer but I'll use anything as long as it doesn't leak

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo R,

Not a lot of specific help, but...

Section 03-00: Engine Service, Gasoline
1993 Bronco/Econoline/F-Series Workshop Manual by Ford; sim. to 92 Bronco
https://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WSPM/~MUS~LEN/19/SPM30012.HTM

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING

Static Engine Off Valve Train Analysis

Rocker Arm Cover Removed

NOTE: Refer to the appropriate engine section for the Removal and Installation of the engine rocker arm cover.

Check for damaged and/or severely worn parts, correct assembly, and use of correct parts by proceeding with the static engine analysis.

Rocker Arm Assemblies

• Check for loose mounting bolts, studs and nuts.
  • Check for plugged oil feed in the rocker arm or cylinder head.

Push Rods

• Check for bent push rods and restriction in oil passage.

Valve Springs

• Check for broken or damaged parts.

Retainer and Keys

• Check for proper seating of keys on valve stem and in retainer.

Positive Rotator and Keys

• Check for proper seating in the positive rotator, and on valve stem.

Valves and Cylinder Head

• Check the cylinder head gasket for proper installation.
  • Check for plugged oil drain back holes.
  • Check for worn or damaged valve tips.
  • Check for missing or damaged guide-mounted valve stem oil seals.
  • Check collapsed tappet gap.
  • Check installed spring height.
  • Check for missing or worn valve spring seats, if equipped.
Static checks (engine off) are to be made on the engine prior to the dynamic procedure.

=====

I forget if the lifters are new...

Hydraulic TappetsThe tappet assemblies should be kept in proper sequence so that they can be installed in their original position. Inspect and test each tappet separately so as not to intermix. If any part of the tappet assembly needs replacing, replace the entire assembly. If a tappet is worn, it is recommended that all tappets and camshaft be replaced.

Cleaning

Thoroughly clean all the parts in clean solvent and wipe them with a clean, lint-free cloth.

Inspection

Inspect the parts and discard the entire tappet assembly if any part shows pitting, scoring or excessive wear. Replace the entire assembly if the plunger is not free in the body. The plunger should drop to the bottom of the body by its own weight when assembled dry.

Assemble the tappet assembly and check for freeness of operation by pressing down on the plunger. The tappets can also be checked with a hydraulic tester to test the leakdown rate. Follow the instructions of the test unit manufacturer or the Hydraulic Tappet procedure under Diagnosis and Testing.

Flat Tappet Wear

A4290B.gif

Valve Rocker Arm 
Cleaning

Clean all parts thoroughly. Make sure all oil passages are open.

Make sure oil passage in the push rod end of the rocker arm is open.

Inspection

Inspect the shaft and the rocker arm bore for nicks, scratches, scores or scuffs. Replace any damaged parts.

A5859E.gif

Inspect the pad at the valve end of the rocker arm for indications of scuffing or abnormal wear. If the pad is grooved, replace the rocker arm. Do not attempt to true this surface by grinding. On pedestal mounted rocker arms, check the rocker arm pad, side rails and fulcrum seat for excessive wear, cracks, nicks, or burrs. Check the rocker arm bolt for stripped or broken threads.

https://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WSPM/~MUS~LEN/19/SPM30030.HTM#extract_518

Torque Specifications @ https://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WSPM/~MUS~LEN/21/SPM31B46.HTM

ISOLATE the sound with a short section of garden hose or a cheap mechanics  stethoscope as already advised.

Check timing (How to Set the timing on an EFI Ford by Ryan M at http://web.archive.org/web/20131229164125/http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=71

cracked exh manifold; an issue with Ford 5.0 & 5.8 & prob other models; any exhaust aroma inside the cab?

exhaust pipe banging or a component banking against it or a cross member

exhaust leak or air injection system check valve rusted out (BUT under load it sounds like a rusted-out muffler)

pull codes to help determine possible engine performance issues that may or may not contribute to possible knocking sounds

Rod knock  - run the engine up to about 1000 RPM, and then pull one plug wire at a time. The knock will go away when you pull the plug for the offending cylinder. Wear leather glives; BEWARE of FAN, BELTS, HOT ENGINE..etc.

Valve Clearance https://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WSPM/~MUS~LEN/21/SPM31B45.HTM

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Supreme Commander,would I want to rotate the engine to change the valve lift or do I just see if the rockers are loose.I'm waiting for the header gasket to come in.Edelbrock recommended Fel Pro gaskets.I've got Flowmtech headers and I had the gaskets from Flowtech which were like a multi-layer but I'll use anything as long as it doesn't leak
Yes, rotate to check each with the valve closed,

OP
OP
R

rogmit

Reaction score
well the headers are true and the rockers have a minimal amount of play but I do have some more pictures of exhaust port on heads and the different colorationb of rockers on right side and left side of engine.The drivers side rockers look like the color they were when I installed them and the other side kind of has a bronze color.See what you yous might think about pictures.20140509_111400.jpg20140509_111200.jpg20140509_111110.jpg

20140509_111417.jpg

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey Rog,

The bronzing is from the oil.  The temp in the valve cover is higher in the passenger side because of the engine design, so the oil makes the metal a bit more yellow/brown.  No outward signs of any problems. 

The exhaust ports just show what looks like normal wear from the effects of caustic exhaust.  Glad to hear the headers are true.

If it were me I'd get some good gaskets and button er up!

Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23