390 intake problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I have a 74 -2 barrel intake--with a 2x4 adapter to a 4 barrel Holley. I was talking to a friend about it and the intake below the carb. Has a extra hole that is about 1/2 in round. He said he had heard . When Ford started with this intake with the hole in it. They started having troubles with it and discontinued using them. Has anyone else heard this ? Hear is a picture of the intake and you can see where some heat escaped. He said he had also heard it melted part of one carb---.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Have not heard of that, but can't wait to see the picture.

OP
OP
J

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I have also noticed some marks(some look like scratches and burnt marks) I was thinking they could cause air leaks and if it was to be used. Have it smoothed out and the hole filled in.

Motech

Reaction score
That is an exhaust port that feeds the baseplate that holds the EGR valve. Like this one.

chrome_screenshot_1686870855686-01.jpeg

You'll need one of these if you want to mount a carburetor to it. You can block off the EGR from there if necessary.

OP
OP
J

johnnyreb

Reaction score
That is an exhaust port that feeds the baseplate that holds the EGR valve. Like this one.

View attachment 31384

You'll need one of these if you want to mount a carburetor to it. You can block off the EGR from there if necessary.
I have a couple of them out in the building. Thanks Motech. If I am not mistaken. I think the 390 I had in my 66gt had one on it.

OP
OP
J

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Well I did notice on the top of the intake.Some black soot. Since Ford supposedly had trouble with it and quit using it. Wouldn,t it be better to block the round hole off?

Motech

Reaction score
Well I did notice on the top of the intake.Some black soot. Since Ford supposedly had trouble with it and quit using it.

Wouldn,t it be better to block the round hole off?

Maybe, but you're still going to need that plate, and the special, $$ gasket too.

You could possibly put a freeze plug in one of the holes to keep the heat out of the plate and away from the carburetor base.

OP
OP
J

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I found a few yesterday when I got back home. You,ll see the aluminium was being burned out from heat and the steel one was not and is a better part. I also found some gasket material. To make my own gasket--in case I cannot find any at the store.

Attachments

• 199R8108-2.pdf
    517.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 352-428 -- 2 BARREL STEEL CARB SPACER.jpg
    352-428 -- 2 BARREL STEEL CARB SPACER.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 352-428 ALUMINIUN EGR SPACER.jpg
    352-428 ALUMINIUN EGR SPACER.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 6

wyo58

Reaction score
I have a 74 -2 barrel intake--with a 2x4 adapter to a 4 barrel Holley. I was talking to a friend about it and the intake below the carb. Has a extra hole that is about 1/2 in round. He said he had heard . When Ford started with this intake with the hole in it. They started having troubles with it and discontinued using them. Has anyone else heard this ? Hear is a picture of the intake and you can see where some heat escaped. He said he had also heard it melted part of one carb---.
Can't remember that off hand Johny, maybe a picture will refresh my memory.

wyo58

Reaction score
steel spacer--notice the bottom is NOT burnt out like the aluminium one. Thanks Motech
Yeah for sure that was the early egr port from inside the engine. Those all caused some problems at the carb spacer and internal in the engine getting all plugged up with carbon. if it is open and you have a rich or oil soaked cylinder feeding those ports, yeah it can get real hot in there.

OP
OP
J

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Yeah for sure that was the early egr port from inside the engine. Those all caused some problems at the carb spacer and internal in the engine getting all plugged up with carbon. if it is open and you have a rich or oil soaked cylinder feeding those ports, yeah it can get real hot in there.
I guess I,ll have to replace the intake . I hate that. That intake weighs 88 pounds and is ******* the old back. I was looking for an alumnium one . The new ones are over priced and tried to find a used one with no luck. Guess I,ll switch out the old one with a steel one. Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK