Rear wheel wells rusting out inside, looks fine outside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djdoherty450

Reaction score
My 1996 Eddie Bauer has rust in many areas as to be expected (New England vehicle), but overall its in good shape mechanically and runs great.

The issue is that I have right now is that you can see through both rear wheel wells where the seat belts mount to. I've been on the phone with several body shops explaining the situation and the ones that were interested in looking at it won't touch it. Seems like no one is willing to replace the wheel wells since the seat belts bolt there and they all consider it a liability with varying levels of concern about other panel rust and the condition of the metal that they would need to weld to. This is not my daily driver and I store it in the winter months to keep it around as much as possible.

So I find myself at a cross roads - The thought of selling it selling it knowing its most likely a collector or auction bound, trading it in towards an older Ranger. However, what I'm leaning towards is keeping it and making it a two seater by selling off the topper and the rear bench seat, put a roll up soft top on it to not get completely saturated when it rains.

Just want to get some ideas from the family here.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
If you have a garage to work in.Since you say you store it in the winter. Why not learn to fix it yourself and do the job right. That way you will know it was repaired the way you want it and right. Their is a lot of shoddy garages out their and you,ll learn a trade and about your vehicle. Most garages way over charge people and only do half ass work. Find out how the metal is laid and correct it. Make sure the metal is laid OVER ---NOT UNDER. .Welcome to the club and good luck.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo djdoherty450,

I will work on the B pillars on both sides in spring to address the rusted over drain holes on each side as my friend Jeremy advised.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230308-171505_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230308-171505_Chrome.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 3

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK