70's style steering wheel on a Bricknose?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Maybe I'm the only one here, but I'm wondering how difficult it would be to install an older 70s, early 80s style steering wheel with cruise control in the place of my '91 "a frame" factory wheel. IDK, I just like the older wheel as it reminds me of my Dad and his old Econoline vans he had, and I think it would be a cool small tribute to him, since my truck is so Frankenstein-ish already, I figure, why not? Is it easily doable? What do y'all think?

Desired:
s-l640.jpg
(I love that old horn bar, and the thin wheel feel!)

Current:
001-1.jpg
(Better than the H style, but still bulky.)

L\Bronco

Reaction score
That would be cool! Nothing wrong with a little Franken Bronco action. (That's what my sons call my 79)

I see three possible hurdles, (But only possibilities, I've never tried it.)
1. The steering shaft may have a different diameter, or different splines)
2, The contact plates underneath may have a different diameter and wont hit the buttons in the signal switch for the horn and cruise.
3. The resistance value in the cruise switches won't match the newer wheel and the cruise will act weird or not at all.
Those are only maybes, and if you don't have cruise control, the mesh on the splines and horn function are the only hurdles.
I'd say try it and see if you get any issues, (just verify the shaft size \spline config before you tighten the nut and you should be fine.
Hope that helps.
Cheers

OP
OP
91BroncoPickup
Reaction score
Thanks! Yeah, my cruise works and would be my biggest concern to transfer over...

It's a back burner mod for now. Just found out we're moving soon for a new job 3 counties over, so this might marinate a while.😎

Motech

Reaction score
I've never tried this either, but having owned a 1986 F150 XLT with old style wheel, and very familiar with your 1991 column with newer "A" style wheel, I did a little digging into factory info on AllData and discovered:

Both columns appear to be identical Saginaw style units (tilt styles shown)

1991 unit
download (12).png

1986 unit
download (11).png

Both model columns use the same Cruise Control Switch, part number E4TZ-9C888-AA

And probably most significantly, both columns use the same upper shaft that the steering wheel mounts to, part number E8TZ-3B676-A

All these matches mean that the main differences between columns that @L\Bronco mentions above are likely perfect matches: the cruise control switch brushes that mate with the wheel, and the upper steering shaft that the wheel attaches to.

It looks to be a direct, plug-n-play match. 👍

OP
OP
91BroncoPickup
Reaction score
I've never tried this either, but having owned a 1986 F150 XLT with old style wheel, and very familiar with your 1991 column with newer "A" style wheel, I did a little digging into factory info on AllData and discovered:

Both columns appear to be identical Saginaw style units (tilt styles shown)

1991 unit
View attachment 31431

1986 unit
View attachment 31432

Both model columns use the same Cruise Control Switch, part number E4TZ-9C888-AA

And probably most significantly, both columns use the same upper shaft that the steering wheel mounts to, part number E8TZ-3B676-A

All these matches mean that the main differences between columns that @L\Bronco mentions above are likely perfect matches: the cruise control switch brushes that mate with the wheel, and the upper steering shaft that the wheel attaches to.

It looks to be a direct, plug-n-play match. 👍
Su-Weeet!!!

Thanks, man. You guys are an amazing wealth of knowledge!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK