351w swapped for a 460

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryan49

Reaction score
I have a 84. its all stock with a stock 351w. i need to know what i need to get to swap the stock 351w for a 86" 460. i need to know what motor mounts to get and also i want to put a lift on it so i need to know what kind of springs and stuff to get for it. also i need to know about an adapter plate for the tranny (its automatic) IF YOU CAN HELP ME THAT WOULD BE GREAT!

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
ryan49, welcome to Bronco Zone!!! The 460 swap is a great mod, and not too hard to do. You'll need motor mounts from L&L Products (available from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard), and a transmission fitted to a 460 or other big block Ford engine. The bolt pattern on the bellhousing of your 351W transmission is different, and there are no "adapter plates" that will work. IT's easy enought though to find a C6 auto or NP 435 from a 460, and swap the engine-tranny all at once. Most 460's will need to have the oil filter mvoed to a remote mount, or nocthing of the front crossmember needs to be done. Take a look at my thread on the 460 swap in my 84 Bronco:

http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?sho...;460+swap\

The C6 automatic was offered on many engine sizes, both smallblock and big block. Only a C6 that comes from a 460, 429 or 351M/400M will bolt up to a 460. A C6 from a 300I-6, 302 or 351W like in your Bronco will not. You don't really need different springs, since the 460 only weighs about 200 pounds more than a 351W. The only real fitment problem is with headers, since there's a bit less room in the Bronco engine bay. I'm currently using the stock 460 manifolds, and had to massage the firewall a little for these to fit, JSM84

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane