Tailgate Window Issues on a 1988

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bronco Kid!

Reaction score
well fixed the regulator and re installed everything now the window will go up and down by jumping the motor but not with either one of the switches.. this is weird because before i pulled everything apart the switches worked but the regulator was messed up.. just dont get it how does this happen!! lol hope its a bad conection at the plug will get a light tester tomorrow.. otherwise i dunno what i will do. NOTE TO SELF dont let bronco sit for 7 years with out moving everything ever again!!

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo BK,

Replacement in an 88 (many photos) BEST PROCESS! Source: by Dustin S (Dustball, Mellow Yellow, Mr. Laser Boy)

Safety Excerpt; "...If your regulator is still in good shape, you should prevent the arms from moving before taking out the motor. I used a bolt and a bracket I found around the garage to secure the arms from snapping together..."

In addition to Dustin's precautions, Read this and be wary; while in there be prepped to deal w/rust esp around where the arms bolt down;

Tailgate Window Regulator front & back

tgregulator.jpg

"If EITHER the glass or the motor is installed, the regulator is safe. But if BOTH are removed with the arms down, the lift spring will snap both arms up violently, which could cause injury. The regulator must be in THIS position (nearly fully down) to remove it from the tailgate, but if the motor has to be removed, power it so the arms go to the full up position first. When the L arm is barely touching the stop, it's safe to remove the motor." by Steve83

Bronco Kid!

Reaction score
ok so newest update on my tailgate situation!! after reinstalling the regulator and motor only to find out the switches just stoped working, i went crazy with the light tester and thanks to the wiring diagrams above it made life easyer.. i found out that i had power from both switches all the way to the pig tail that the motor wires connect to.. there was corrosion in the plug causing bouth wires to get power at the same time thus keeping my motor from functioning.. so i kut the plug off and spliced the wires togeather, and wala the switches work and the window finally does what its supposed to... many thanks to this thred and all the fine people with the knowledge to help diag the situation!!

:)>-

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane