Has Anyone Installed A Overhead Console?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seabronc

Reaction score
It sure looks like the temp sensor to me. They don't have a plate that they mount to. If that is a sensor and not a blank cover, they are only attached by a small plastic clip. The best way to see if it is a real one is to hook up the console to the plug under the head liner. If the temp displays, you got it. All you have to do to get the headliner off is to remove the trim pieces and visor mounting. Just loosen the ones at the back and you can slide it forward and out. Just be careful sliding it back in so you don't damage the edges. Is that on your truck?

Also, the connector for the console should be under the head liner. Did you get the mounting plate with it?

I added that headliner picture so you could see how the Eddie Bower headliner was cut for the console.

Good luck,

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
G

Grey2003

Reaction score
It sure looks like the temp sensor to me. They don't have a plate that they mount to. If that is a sensor and not a blank cover, they are only attached by a small plastic clip. The best way to see if it is a real one is to hook up the console to the plug under the head liner. If the temp displays, you got it. All you have to do to get the headliner off is to remove the trim pieces and visor mounting. Just loosen the ones at the back and you can slide it forward and out. Just be careful sliding it back in so you don't damage the edges. Is that on your truck?
Also, the connector for the console should be under the head liner. Did you get the mounting plate with it?

I added that headliner picture so you could see how the Eddie Bower headliner was cut for the console.

Good luck,

Took the headliner out and there is no wiring harness sitting there. I even put a 1" whole saw up there to feel around and got nothing. I wouldn't think it would be between the headliner and the inner roof panel though at that would be a potential rattle and the existing map lights wiring also goes in between the outer roof and inner panel. After a bit I did find the receiver for the harness behind the emergency brake, but nothing was connected to it. So I guess that I don't have the wiring in the roof, sooo does anyone have the correct wiring for receptacle behind the emergency brake. I have looked and looked and no one has a diagram for it. only for the harness itself and from all the wires in the harness, there appears to be some different colored ones to hook up to.

DSC02248.jpg

Seabronc

Reaction score
Took the headliner out and there is no wiring harness sitting there. I even put a 1" whole saw up there to feel around and got nothing. I wouldn't think it would be between the headliner and the inner roof panel though at that would be a potential rattle and the existing map lights wiring also goes in between the outer roof and inner panel. After a bit I did find the receiver for the harness behind the emergency brake, but nothing was connected to it. So I guess that I don't have the wiring in the roof, sooo does anyone have the correct wiring for receptacle behind the emergency brake. I have looked and looked and no one has a diagram for it. only for the harness itself and from all the wires in the harness, there appears to be some different colored ones to hook up to.
DSC02248.jpg
That sucks, I don't think I'll be getting back to my local friendly junk yard for a while, but if I do, I will check the harness for an Explorer to see if it is the same. You could probably order it from Ford, most likely expensive though. Another option is to get the plugs and make your own. Like I said, I have an extra plug that goes at the console end. Is it possible to get a picture of the one under the dash?

For my truck I have to build the whole thing all the way to the sensor.

OP
OP
G

Grey2003

Reaction score
Ok here is the console plug:

DSC02244.jpg

And here is the plug behind the emergency brake:

DSC02250.jpg

Hopefully I can get an identification on the plugs and just make my own harness. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving.

OP
OP
G

Grey2003

Reaction score
Well we got it powered up, The map lights work, but cant get the display to fire up. You would think that if the map lights have power so would the display. Any hints?

Got it to work by process of elimination. Turns out the Run/Hot wire did not make a proper connection. Display now powers up and the compass seems to work, but temp is not because of no temp sender. Will order that this next week. Meanwhile I'll be able to put my headliner back up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23