Has Anyone Installed A Overhead Console?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grey2003

Reaction score
I have a 1995 XLT and I am looking at getting a overhead console and auto dimming mirror out of a EB. I need a rearview mirror pretty bad as mine is all delaminated and after looking around on Ebay I saw this.

Ebay

Or what about a newer year, like this one?Ebay

That's starting to get kind of spendy, but how hard would it be to install it? Major surgery or just a sunday afternoon?

Also if anyone wants to sell me one, just let me know. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
G

Grey2003

Reaction score
I did end up buying one on Ebay. It was kind of buried in a store for $63.00 with shipping. Now I just need to find the wiring diagram for it, and order a temp sensor. Any help or direction for this would be great. Thanks.

Seabronc

Reaction score
If you know what year and vehicle it came out of then you can get an EVTM for that truck and it will have all the required connections shown. I'm interested myself, I can get them out of late 90s to early 2000s for around $50.00. However, they may require some inputs not available from my 83. Haven't really looked to far into it yet.

Try giving Meisk5 a PM. He may have a link to a write up in his vast list of links.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
G

Grey2003

Reaction score
If you know what year and vehicle it came out of then you can get an EVTM for that truck and it will have all the required connections shown. I'm interested myself, I can get them out of late 90s to early 2000s for around $50.00. However, they may require some inputs not available from my 83. Haven't really looked to far into it yet.
Try giving Meisk5 a PM. He may have a link to a write up in his vast list of links.

Good luck,

Hey is it posible for you to get me one out of a '95? We don't have many wrecking yards in my rural area.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Hey is it posible for you to get me one out of a '95? We don't have many wrecking yards in my rural area.
The next time I go to the local friendly auto parts recycler, I'll check to see if they have a 95 with one. One of the problems with the late 90's is the shape of the headliner in the front, much more curved near the window than the Bronco. It would require some work to get them to fit a Bronco head liner. Doable with some reshaping of the console mounting surface or fabing a mount for it.

Good luck,

Seabronc

Reaction score
Checked out the Local Friendly today. No 95 Eddie Bowers. I take it you asked about that based on info in the Meisk5 links where Steve from FSB did a write up on one that doesn't require any modification to put it into a bronco. They do, on the other hand, have the ones out of 1996 - 2000 that require some modification of the trim profile. I picked one up, including the temperature sensor and plan on making the modifications to install it in my 83. As it turns out, the speed sensor input is only to compensate for the wind chill factor which is easy to compensate for by changing the mounting of the sensor.

Good luck,

OP
OP
G

Grey2003

Reaction score
Ok. So can this not be done without the wiring harness? The console is from a '95 Bronco EB. If so, does anyone have access to a harness that they would sell me as I cannot find one at a wrecking yard around here. Thanks

Seabronc

Reaction score
Ok. So can this not be done without the wiring harness? The console is from a '95 Bronco EB. If so, does anyone have access to a harness that they would sell me as I cannot find one at a wrecking yard around here. Thanks
Post a picture of the connector, an in focus up close of the connector from the pin end. I think I may have a connector you can have with about 3 inches of wire attached to the pins. You would only have to splice the wires or you can put new ones in by getting some new pins ant a auto supply.

OP
OP
G

Grey2003

Reaction score
Post a picture of the connector, an in focus up close of the connector from the pin end. I think I may have a connector you can have with about 3 inches of wire attached to the pins. You would only have to splice the wires or you can put new ones in by getting some new pins ant a auto supply.
Thanks so much. It should arrive fri or monday I hope. Wohoo a project. Thank goodness this is my hobby sometimes.

Seabronc

Reaction score
i was not aware that broncos came with the overhead console
95 Eddie Bower had that option. It is the same as the ones in the Explorer but with a different profile to the trim that it is mounted in. See the link above.

OP
OP
G

Grey2003

Reaction score
Okay, It finally came today. Is there any reason that I can't make my own harness, so to speak and connect to the plug behind the e-brake? Well at least I've read that's where the harness plug is, and what about the temp sensor? Wires for that and does anyone have a part number for the bronco one. I've found the article concerning the Explorer one, and I just need to find the part number for the Bronco/F150 one if it is indeed different.

DSC02244.jpg

DSC02245.jpg

DSC02246.jpg

Seabronc

Reaction score
You probably don't need to do any wiring since you have a 95 Bronco, your truck should already have all the wiring you need. You will need a temperature sensor if you didn't get one with the console. Check the front of the truck, who knows maybe it is already there. If not there should be a blank cover over the connector. There are two styles, but they function the same and as far as I can tell they interchange since I found both styles on an Explorer I will be right back with the diagrams from the EVTM.

Seabronc

Reaction score
OK, like I said, this should be a, "plug and play" for your truck. All connectors and wires should already be there.

Here are the diagrams, let me know if you need more.

Removed two irrelevant diagrms.

OHConsole1.jpg

OHConsole2.jpg

95Bronco_005.jpg

95Bronco_006.jpg

Seabronc

Reaction score
Here is another picture that might help. I borrowed it from Steve at FSB. A stock headliner for the console.

console__headliner_95.jpg

OP
OP
G

Grey2003

Reaction score
So does this look like a complete temp sensor? It does to me, but I don't know. I also don't have the backing plate so I am not sure how to mount it, but it doesn't seem that heavy. BTW thanks for all the help.

DSC02247.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23