Distributor/Plug Wires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

coolio2281

Reaction score
i have the truck running, but when i got it going the first time i had to advance timing to keep truck running it would miss/hesitate tremendously, once advanced it runs better but still hesistes from a stop and messes my shift point up, my distributor was not removed. allthought i was turning the distributor to advance/****** timing to be able to drive it. now that its so advnced it idles at 1400. i must fix this. any suggestions?

OP
OP
C

coolio2281

Reaction score
thats the problem i do not have a timing light, at the moment i have the distributor turned to advance timing so it will run, when i ****** it untill its at factory idle spec's i cannot even get the truck to move. ive checked vacuum leaks, have nothing other than the valve next to passenger side manifold. everything else is sealed tight and good. i never had that vaccum line running to that valve to begin with, so idk. what do you think? i will get pictures around today. what would you like me to take? one of distributor with cap off? i would like to get this running good today thanks all for the all the help i know iam not much of a help to you guys in diagnosing but truth of the matter is iam a diesel tech and this is the first time ive ever torn into a gas engine. similair but confusing.

Krafty

Reaction score
if you can get it to a shop they will usually set your timing for $20, when setting it properly you have to remove a fuse style blade from one of the wires at the ignition Control module to set your base timing before setting your timing with electronic advance. having the distributor out then back in with one gear tooth off will make it seem like you have to advance or ****** it excessively to get it to run when actually its not, also a timming chain jumping a tooth on the gear because of excessive wear or stretch can do the same kind of thing. but if its jumped once, it will jump again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK