Cracked dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scubscout53

Reaction score
As is obvious in these pictures, my dash recently cracked. I don’t want to cover it as I’m sure this will only get worse. Is there a source for buying new dashes? I’m afraid if I buy an old one, the same thing will happen.

IMG_5038.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5037.jpeg
    IMG_5037.jpeg
    368.1 KB · Views: 2

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Is the lower mount broken on the passenger side?

There was a fix for that from ford because it was so common. I would imagine that is why the dash broke there.

OP
OP
S

scubscout53

Reaction score
Looking underneath, I don’t see anything else broke. I assume I was looking at the right place, similar boats as what was holding the top up and there’s also a bracket close to the middle above the driveshaft that is in good shape.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
This is a random picture I grabbed. This is a repair bracket and kind of an ugly one. But it shows where you should be looking for the broken bracket.

Dash-Bracket-Installed.jpg

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
It doesn’t appear that I have this bracket, maybe I should have.
Could very well be that the end broke off, the plastic part the bolts to the door jamb and someone threw it away.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
That is the one, Can't really tell if it is broken or not.

But from that bolt it extends under the dash.

They usually break just right at the edge of your picture where they start to get a little beefier.

In edit: If you lift on the dash right there and watch the bolt it is usually pretty obvious.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
As is obvious in these pictures, my dash recently cracked. I don’t want to cover it as I’m sure this will only get worse. Is there a source for buying new dashes? I’m afraid if I buy an old one, the same thing will happen.

View attachment 32107
What I did was went to Harbor Freight and bought some epoxy called HFT--Epoxy-Quick Setting. Park it in the shade and check it later on. As the dash stats cooling down. The crack will start closing to. Then fill the crack with the epoxy. If you see a crack starting--run down it. I put it in my Dodge about 5 years ago and its still holding. The epoxy costs about $2 oo

OP
OP
S

scubscout53

Reaction score
What I did was went to Harbor Freight and bought some epoxy called HFT--Epoxy-Quick Setting. Park it in the shade and check it later on. As the dash stats cooling down. The crack will start closing to. Then fill the crack with the epoxy. If you see a crack starting--run down it. I put it in my Dodge about 5 years ago and its still holding. The epoxy costs about $2 oo
I thought about pushing it up and bracing it somehow after adding epoxy. Maybe using a torsion bar like I brace with in my truck bed.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Welcome to the club
I thought about pushing it up and bracing it somehow after adding epoxy. Maybe using a torsion bar like I brace with in my truck bed.
It might work. What I noticed in the morning. My truck was sitting in the sun and when I parked it in the shade--the crack started coming back together and that is when I got the epoxy and went down the crack and when it dried--it stayed. Its been holding about 5 years now. Anything is worth trying--beats letting it go and getting worse... Good luck.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Just use google for Ford dash repair bracket. There are a few different designs and prices from $25 to $300

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sufferedformula