axle help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oktogo

Reaction score
i just bought 2 axles today i dont know what they are they both are 8 lug and the front has like a ball and socket . the rear looks like one from a f250-f450 its huge i have the number off the tag v127a-3L55 10 2 5 J20 will some one tell me more about it with this code i do not have the number for the front but i do know it has a 4 09 gear in it they both are drum brakes the front has leaf springs. it was a good deal i only paid 400$ for the set so could someone tell me if the front will work with a sas or not? or any links how to do it also the rear is a full floating axle

Last edited by a moderator:

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
The rear is a Sterling 10.25" rear axle with 3.55;1 gears and factory limited slip. The matching front axle would be a Dana60 with leaf springs. Does that front axle have drum brakes, too? The 88 F-350 I bought for my SASS came with those same axles, a Dana60 front and Sterling 10.25" rear. The front axle has kingpins and disc brakes on the 88. Anything under $500 is a good deal just for that Dana60, JSM84

In the Classified parts section, there are some pics of these axles in a thread from GubNi.

http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16062

OP
OP
O

oktogo

Reaction score
it has drums but they did not come from the same truck they were already cut out and laying on the ground it does not have nuckles insted like a ball and socket and the tubing is not as thick i think could it be a d 44hd?

BLADE262US

Reaction score
I dont know JSM the description sounds like an early 70,s 3/4 ton setup . I had a setup very similar and cut it up for scrap . The ball and socket front end thing is whats called a closed knuckle and it could be a dana 44 or a 60 the rear in the one I had was a dana 60 full floater . The drum brakes is mostly why I say its gotta be early 70,s :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> WE NEED PICS lol

OP
OP
O

oktogo

Reaction score
is the front even worth keeping the rear is newer it has 12 bolts so i know it is a 10.25 out of a late 80s model but the front was buried in the junkyard i dont know what its from but it does have drum and it looks old but it was all he had they are not from the same trucks the scrap yard just throws them in a pile and i pick

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Yes Blade, what I'm thinking since the front or other axle is not disc brakes. The one with the tag is 100% a Sterling. The other could be a Dana60 rear. Oktogo, does the other axle have steering linkage on it? Those pics in that link to Gubni's ad may help you. You can also look for a number stamped into the webbing on the differential housing, like a big "44" or "60".

OP
OP
O

oktogo

Reaction score
the axil is a front i know that but it is to old to read the numbers i can try reading them tomarow and tell you but its so old it might be hard it has been in that junkyard for 15 years the 10.25 is in great shape it just got there today could you tell me if its worth it because the ball and socket are hard to find parts for

Justshootme84

Reaction score
The Sterling 10.25" would be a good swap for the rear axle in your 89 Bronco if it has the VSS (speed sensor).

OP
OP
O

oktogo

Reaction score
i dont think the 10.25 has the vss will it matter if i swap it will my speedometer work>? do i have to have a vss?

OP
OP
O

oktogo

Reaction score
yes, i would like to have my speedometer is there any way i can convert it?

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Sorry, can't help with the speedo conversion but I agree with Blade that it's probably a closed knuckle D44, D60 or D70. Closed knuckle axles get a bad rap, they *do* require extra maintenance & can leak in extra places, have a horrendous turning radius & can't be fitted with disk brakes (at least not that I know of) but on the other hand if you spend a lot of time in the mud the closed knuckle is a definite advantage.

Anyways, without photos it's hard to tell so I'm uploading the Spicer/Dana guide to all applications 1967-78 which should cover it. Here's a diagram of a closed knuckle D70 and you might want to glance thru the D60 manual to see if you can locate any of the part # stamping mentioned in the first few pages and compare the axle itself to what you have since it covers both the open & closed knuckle axles with photos & drawings of both

Edit: Figured while I was at it I'd add the manuals for the D44 (because there are closed knuckle, HD 8-lug versions out there) and the D70 so you'd have something for comparison & hey, having access to the manufacturer's manual for your axle is never a bad thing :)

X510_8DSD.pdf

D70.JPG

D44_manual.pdf

D60_manual.pdf

D70_manual.pdf

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Yeah Bill they do have one thing though . I wish I wouldnt have cut the one I had up . The axle tubes on that thing are a full 1/2 to 5/8 thick after blowing through it with a torch by the pig and realizing how heavy they were I thought man I should have cut the cast knuckles off the end and fit a set of like 79 or so ends on it then it would have had the heavy tubes and disk brakes I dont know if you could bend that thing the axle had just enough room to fit in . Oh well guess Ill remember that if I ever get another one . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
O

oktogo

Reaction score
i cant get pics up but i can get some numbers off of it soon i will have them up tonight. I have two questions one if mine is an 89 what is the rabs? And i have some rust one the ring and pinoin gears in both of those axils can i do it in a way i can keep the ring and pinion out of the 10.25 or shuld i buy new ones O and the limited slip in the 10.25 has some weird scraches on the case but it works fine any help?

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Ok, got it. What you have is an 8-lug Dana 44HD from a 73.5'-75' F250 with the part-time xfer case. The 4.09 is your gear ratio.

The 603395-1 is called the Bill of Materials. with that number in hand and a copy of the Dana applications guide (the one I posted the other day, X510 8DSD.PDF) you can look up virtually any Dana axle and find out what it is and what it came out of as well as it's gear ratio & what differential it has along with other info. Since it's such handy information I'll rename the file to something people will recognize (the X510 title is Spicer's name for the document) and post it again :) Anyone interested in tracking down info on Dana axles might want to save a copy.

This info is on the bottom of page 54 of the Dana applications guide. If anyone is interested in seeing how it works open the file with Adobe Reader. Look in the left column for Ford, Dana 44 Front (1967-1978) & click on it then scroll down to page 54 and you'll find the info at the bottom of the page. It's just like using a phone book.

Dana_axle_applications.pdf

6033395.JPG

OP
OP
O

oktogo

Reaction score
thx for the info can u answer my question about the rust can i salvage the ring and pinion it has some rist on a few of the teath of ther ring is that ok can i sand it down and it work fine or should i just buy another ring and pinoin?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23