88 bronco EFI to Carb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bronco Kid!

Reaction score
hey guys yes yes i am one of the strange people who want a carb over fuel injection, anyway past that headache i know i have to lower my fuel preasure, i am just curious if i can use the intake low preasure pump and eliminate the inline high preasure pump, or if it is a must to get rid of bouth and just put a low preassure inline pump?

Seabronc

Reaction score
I would probably eliminate both pumps and replace the sender/pump unit in the tank with a standard no-pump sender and then either add a LP in-line pump with an output pressure of around 7 psi, (for a 4160 Holley carb). As another option, I believe you can just put the mechanical pump on the engine, the hole for it should just be covered by a blank plate.

http://broncograveya...ding-units.html

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-30235-80-87-351w-fuel-pump.html

Good luck,

peace.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Bronco Kid!

Bronco Kid!

Reaction score
ok well i will just eliminate bouth and put a new low pressure inline pump in place of inline high pressure pump.. hopefully i can just use the same power source

OP
OP
Bronco Kid!

Bronco Kid!

Reaction score
well got the engine in last night... what a pain in the butt, couldnt figure out why the engine wouldnt go back the last quarter inch to get the motor mounts in the holes.. dur da dur dont :blink: forget to loosen bolts from transmision to cross member haha!

ford_302

Reaction score
when i swaped my 89 from EFI to carb i just replaced the in line hi-pressure with a conventional electric fuel pump from napa, cost like 40 bucks. the pump in the tank only runs for a few seconds when you first turn the key on so the electric pump on the frame just pulls throu the pump in the tank and i would have gone with a mechanical pump but my timing cover doesnt have the boss for one. and i just pluged the return line going back to the gas tank.

OP
OP
Bronco Kid!

Bronco Kid!

Reaction score
when i swaped my 89 from EFI to carb i just replaced the in line hi-pressure with a conventional electric fuel pump from napa, cost like 40 bucks. the pump in the tank only runs for a few seconds when you first turn the key on so the electric pump on the frame just pulls throu the pump in the tank and i would have gone with a mechanical pump but my timing cover doesnt have the boss for one. and i just pluged the return line going back to the gas tank.

so what throttle cable did you use when you did your conversion. im having a hard time figuring out what i will need

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

I have some Swap Links in my site @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=209

Here is a compilation of swap info;

EFI Swap to Carburetor Source: by BLADE262US, Seabronc & Justshootme84 & miesk5 at Ford Bronco Zone Forums

Hey all, I am back. It has been a while since I have signed in here, but it is good to be back. I was too depressed to talk Broncos when mine was dead due to an idiot using an impact wrench on three cross-threaded manifold bolts and cracked three of the journals. So now, I finally have some new heavy-duty heads with roller rockers versus the old one. I also realized that four of my injectors were shot along with some of my wiring. SO, I have bought a new intake (carb intake) as well as a Holley 780cfm dual pump double feed beast of a carb. Now, I need to pull the switcheroo, and am wondering if anyone knows where some literature can be found on this or if y'all know anything about how to go about it. I know that my fuel pump will work, but I am wondering what wires I can get rid of (I want it to run off as few wires as possible), if the fuel lines will work, etc. What Say You?

Thanks,

Windchaser 1988 Full Size Eddie Bauer w/ a 460ci

Holley 780cfm, C-6, 31" Liberators, Electric 4x4, Dual 3" exhaust w/18" Thrush glass packs & 12" chrome extensions, and a new leak every day.

-----------

Synopsis:

BLADE262US

Youll have to run a 3 port regulator with a return in order to use your intank pump fuel pressure is way too high other wise . If you are going to dump the EFI then the only wires you need in that harness are the ones for the oil pressure gauge and the coolant temp gauge

Seabronco

You will also need to go to a simpler ignition system such as the Duraspark II ignition system used on mid 80's Broncos or one of the performance systems that are compatable.

The computer can also be trashed, since it will no longer have a purpose in life.

Like Blades said the EFI fuel pressure is too high for a carb, the fuel pressure for the carb should be around 7 psi.

Good luck,

believe you have two fuel pumps on that truck, one in the tank and one external . If I remember right, the one in the tank is a low pressure pump and the external one is a booster to get the pressure required for injectors. You will have to remove the external pump if you haven't already.

There is a great we site by a guy named Ron Morris. He deals specifically with conversions in either direction. If you don't see what you want on his site, you can contact him directly. http://www.ronmorrisperformance.com/index.html

Elsewhere, Justshootme84 advised

You need to address the fuel delivery system, since the EFI runs at much higher pressure than the carb. I switched to an electric fuel pump and pressure regualtor on my swap. Now would also be a good time to look into an HEI dizzy instead of the DuraSpark II you'll be swapping to, JSM84

EFI Swap to Carburetor; "...It's actually a pretty simple swap. Basically all of the computer/sensor stuff can be scrapped. You won't need any of it. What you will need...a carb (obviously), a new intake manifold, a new distributor, an ignition control box (like an MSD or Mallory box...I've had good luck with MSD 6A boxes so long as they're not exposed to significant heat), and a carb fuel pump. The EFI pump is way too strong for a carb so you'll need something like a Holley carb electric pump. The ignition stuff is pretty straight forward, but for a working tach you'll need to find the tach wire in the ignition wiring harness and attach it to the positive side of your coil. I know in Mustangs this wire was green with a yellow tracer. It may be the same in your Bronco, but it's good to double check. For a carb I would use something like a Holley 600cfm double pumper or a slightly smaller Carter carb. I had a 625cfm Carter on my Mustang before I switched over to a turbo'ed EFI setup and it was a little too much for the motor. One point worth stating is that if you have an automatic transmission that has overdrive (like an AOD), you'll need an adapter for the TV linkage on the transmission since AODs never came on carbed motors. One is (or at least used to be) available for Holley carbs through Sacramento Mustang, but they retail for just under $100. If you have a 3 speed like a C4 then all you'll need to do is make sure the carb has a kickdown linkage. Mind you I got my old Carter to work with my AOD...but I think that was just sheer luck. Hope this helps...let me know if there's anything else I can clear up for you..."

Source: by Steve at en.allexperts.com

-------------

& CSM_Bronco wrote @ http://broncozone.com/topic/12302-efi-to-carb/

decided to make a huge change in my bronco. call me crazy. i want to ditch the mpfi system and go to carb setup. i was thinking a edelbrock torker intake and a demon 650 cfm carb......if i go about getting that, what else will i need for the conversion? egr and all that is not necessary, its strictly mud truck. 89 bronco 351w. fully rebuilt block and heads too. block also has a stock cam. any input would be awsome. suggestions or whatever it may be. thanks in advance.

you're crazy, I am, too. I converted my 88 460 to carb when I swapped it into my 84 Bronco. You'll need a low pressure (4-7 psi) electric fuel pump to replace the in-tank pump and frame-mounted pump. i'd also get rid of the rest of the fuel sytem junk except for the filter. I installed a 15-gal fuel cell in the bed, since the 33-gal stock tank hangs so low underneath the frame. As for the ignition, you can install a DuraSpark II set-up, or go with an HEI dizzy to make things alot simpler. I found an HEI dizzy for my 460 on ebay for $70 shipped, JSM84

regulator should work fine & it's probably no more hassle to install than adding a mechanical fuel pump would be, come to think of it you probably don't even have the eccentric to *run* a mechanical pump so you'd be looking at a LP electrical pump anyways. Just out of curiousity does anyone know if fuelie engines come w/fuel pump eccentrics I somehow doubt Ford spends any extra pennies or minutes installing legacy parts for backwards compatability

by Broncobill

I was wrong, it was the Magnum series cam that I used not the High Energy. As for the Distributor, I think that it is controlled by the ecu and if you are not going to run the ecu, I dont think that it will work. I would check into either a points distributor with a Pertronix style pickup in it or go with a complete distributor from Pertronix or MSD or someone of the like.

by 2NDTOUR89

As for the mechanical fuel pump, while the cam may have the eccentric for one, the timing cover hole for the pump is usually closed off or left uncut when being made. And when doing research on my 460 efi to carb swap, I found that the TFI dizzy will not work and you need to use the DuraSpark II version or HEI. Aftermarket units like MSD, DUI or PEtronix will also work but are alot more expensive. And I'm also an old school carb guy that doesn't like fuel injection. I can tune a carb on my older rigs and troubleshoot any problems. When my 98 Z-71 gives a code or runs bad, I have to take it to a shop and pay at least $100 for the visit. I know several Cheby truck owners that have also ditched the GM EFI (throttle body injection) for a simple carb set-up. Lastly, I was able to use my lower EFI intake on the 460 with a carb adapter from Price MotorSports. Might check with them to see if they have one for a 351W V8. I had to plug the injector holes and remove one sender. JSM84

Last edited by a moderator:

ford_302

Reaction score
i bought a cable for a 1984 bronco, i also bought a mr. gasket throttle bracket with automatic transmission kick down

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gryph