71 Bronco Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shadow_D

Reaction score
I have a shot at getting a 71 at an awesome price but it has some (expected) problems.

First problem is it has a blown pinion in the rear end. Is there a standard rear end in the 71?

Second problem, the engine is covered in dirt and oil (could be from sitting for a few years). It has the in-line 300 6c with a 4 speed manual.

My questions are...

I have heard that the in-line 6 is indestructible is this true and if a rebuild is needed would it be worth it to rebuild it?

Is it hard to replace the ring & pinion in the rear end? (I don't know what rear end it has yet)?

What kind of gas mileage should I expect with this setup?

Thanks

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
You have a Ford 9" in the rear and the 3rd member can be easily replaced.

Just pull the rear axles out and then unbolts the 3rd member on the axle. Take it to a shop and have them put a new ring and pinion in. Add a locker or posi at the same time for some extra traction if it will see trails. Make sure you get the same gear ratio or you will have to get a new ring and pinion to match up front.

If you want larger tires and a lift, get a lower ratio so you have more torque and go power, otherwise largert tires will bog you down espically with a 300 6c.

The 300 6c engine is not worth keeping in my mind. You can buy V8 mounts so you can convert to a 302 or 351. This will give you more power and I would think parts are cheaper and easier to find than a 300 6c.

I'm not sure on gas with the 6c but the 302 I have gets great gas milage with 38's and 5:89 gears. I don't go on the freeway but in town and on trails seems to be good. SOme day I'll calculate it.

Does it really have a 4 speed in it? Do you know which one?

How much is this good deal? Do you have photos?

STLKIKN

Reaction score
A 71 six cyl should be a 250. (may have been swapped) The six cyl is a good putt putt engine and they last forever....

you will have 4.10s as standard gearing with the six, optional would have been 4.56.

If it has a four speed, was the conversion done properly?

Does it have a Dana 30 or a 44?

Front and rear posi??

As Broncoholics stated, mileage shouldn't be too bad, I was getting 18-24 mpg highway (depending on speed) with a carbbed 5.0 3 speed 31s and 3.50 gears.

If you drop the driveshaft, you will be able to remove the pinion and the pinion retainer to inspect the pinion gear for damage. It may just need a re-bearing.

OP
OP
S

Shadow_D

Reaction score
Ok I got some more info on this last night.

71 Bronco Half Cab no rot on body or frame

72,000 original miles

in-line 6 Fuel tank was drained and lines cleared before storage. Motor was started for the first time in a few years over the weekend, smoked for about 5 or 10 minutes then cleared up. Truck was running for about 1/2 hour then shut off for about 2 hrs then started again with no smoke.

Front & Rear Dana 40's No lockers

Still being told 4 speed manual

Transfer case is a split shift, one shifter is for 2wd & 4h second shifter is for 4 lo & 4UL. I have never seen this type of txfer case.

All gages and lights are in good working condition and chrome is still in good shape.

It will come with a 3" lift & a roll bar both not installed.

I hope to have pics of this thing in a week or so.

I say awesome deal b/c it is mine for $400.00

After hearing the rest of the info with this truck I am just about willing to say it is sold sight unseen.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
S

Shadow_D

Reaction score
The hardest part about this deal is getting it here in Up State NY from where it is, about 1600 miles. I am sorting out 3 or 4 options right now ranging form having an axel put in, flying down & drive it back - have it flat bedded here.

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
Dana40's front and rear? You mean Dana44's? It shouldn't have one in the rear. Only FOrd 9" were available unless they took a rear D44 out of a Jeep or Scout.Its possible so if you do get a 9" for the rear. 60% of your traction is in the rear.

billybroncojr

Reaction score
Sounds like you need to be prepared to fix someone elses problems! This thing sounds like most Jeeps-parts from everything but a Jeep. Unless the body is in good shape, I'd save my money and keep looking.

My two cents!

Later,

Jeff

OP
OP
S

Shadow_D

Reaction score
I could be wrong with the axles b/c I am not there looking at it but I did tell my friend, who is looking it over for me, to send me several pictures of the truck. I am still confused about the transfer case with the dual sticks.

The truck has a Holly 550 and (Offenhower?) intake along with other mods so anything is possible.

From what I have been told the body and frame are both solid with minimal surface rust.

Can the bulkhead behind the front seats be removed to make it in to a "full cab"?

Thanks

STLKIKN

Reaction score
Twin stick t-case, 4 spd, 44s front and rear, Offy intake....

is your buddy looking at a Scout???

A twin stick EB should shift like this...

(front)...........( rear)

low.............. low

Neutral.......... neutral

high.............. high

Yes, if it is a Bronco, the bulkhead can be removed and a full cab can be added....

But why would you want to do that???

Sounds like you should send me the pics....

I will pay shipping to my part of the world, (no need for you to ship it home and then to me, just straight to me...)

and I will pay you DOUBLE, yes DOUBLE what you pay for the truck!!! ( I could always find room in my heart for another EB, especially another half cab!!)

j/k---kind of!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23