Water Leak Any Ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SDBronco91

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 95 Bronco EB 351, and ever since i replaced my radiator (put a hole in it on a trail), I have had the hardest time with water leaks. First my thermostat housing was screwed up, so i replaced it. Second, I had to replace the water pump. Right after I drive it, I have no problems. There isn't any leaking. However, give it about 9 or 10 hours, and there is a small puddle. It looks like it is dripping off of the crankshaft pulley or right behind that. Other than a bad head gasket, could it anything else? I was also thinking about the heater core because whenever I turn the air conditioning on i smell antifreeze for a few minutes, but there isn't any leaking on the inside.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
There is a "weep hole" or tiny hole in the front housing of the water pump, and if it's leaking a small bit from that it will leave a trail from the hole downward. You may have a defective water pump, or the wrong model. IF you do not have any leaks from the water pump, there may be coolant coming from higher up on the intake. Check closely around all of the top bolts, especially the front ones next to that thermostat housing. It's quite common for those bolts that go thru a water passage to get corroded and leak. Fair warning - these are very hard to remove without breaking them off inside the head, JSM84

50joe

Reaction score
Also, check the timing cover gaskets. Coolant runs through that from the block to get to the water pump. It is very common to take those off to replace the gasket, and find that the cover itself has started to disintegrate. This makes it leak, but usually VERY slowly, and from the sounds of it, you have the same problem my boss's 96 had. A new cover was the solution in that case. And if thats it you might as well take the extra 10 minutes to change the chain and gears.

PackMan22

Reaction score
There is a "weep hole" or tiny hole in the front housing of the water pump, and if it's leaking a small bit from that it will leave a trail from the hole downward. You may have a defective water pump, or the wrong model. IF you do not have any leaks from the water pump, there may be coolant coming from higher up on the intake. Check closely around all of the top bolts, especially the front ones next to that thermostat housing. It's quite common for those bolts that go thru a water passage to get corroded and leak. Fair warning - these are very hard to remove without breaking them off inside the head, JSM84
JSM, I have a similar problem on my '90, and i just replaced the waterpump, and it is sealed up tight-no leaks there. But am still getting a leak. Sorry, I'm not super mechanically inclined, this Bronco is my frist real project vehicle. Could you direct me to a picture or something showing the bolts you are talking about near the thermostat housing. I feel like I looked all around and couldn't find the source of my leak. The coolant is dripping from somewhere down the oilpan and dripping off the drain bolt on the bottom of the oilpan.

Eddiefishback

Reaction score
Well the smell of anti-freeze when you turn on the A/C or blower motor would leave me to suspect the heater core or the hoses running to it. I replaced all my cooling hoses,radiator,heater core,and thermostat last year. The kick in the ass was I just replaced the heater core again last month due to a tiny pin hole leak. The freaking warranty was over by 1 day on the heater core when it blew so i had to dole out another 30 bucks.Thank god the heater core is cake to change in a 96 or I would have been really ******. Also an easy way to see if coolant is leaking into or from the heater core turn on your Defrost for the Front windshield for a few minutes if you get a slight film on the windshield then check that heater core. Open it up put a pressure test on it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23