Intro and Advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo H,

Try computer key board clean and give the hole a shot.... no pun intended

Or wait until ready to give engine a turnover with sending unit removed.  Be ready w/rags or cheesecloth to see what comes out.

This is by Ford

"...NEVER reuse an oil cooler from the failed engine. A new oil cooler must be installed if not already

provided on the replacement engine. Engine lubrication system priming and purging MUST be performed before starting any replacement engine, or on an engine that has had a major repair. Doing so helps to ensure the life of the engine, andprevents you from having to deal with a costly repeat

engine replacement.

Verify the correct amount of oil is in the engine crankcase

Install an engine oil pressure gauge

Disable the fuel supply shutoff (inertia) switch to prevent the vehicle from starting

Crank the engine in 15-second increments, allowing a 30-second cool-down pause between each cranking period

Continue this procedure until oil pressure is observed on the pressure gauge, plus an

additional two minutes (short durations) to ensure lubrication system is purged

Overheating can cause severe engine damage.

For this reason, it is CRITICAL to ensure the cooling system is properly filled. Always refer

to section 303-03 of the vehicle workshop manual for specific cooling system fill and bleed

procedures.

NEVER use impact tools to remove or install a knock sensor. Use of impact tools and overtightening the knock sensor mounting fastener can destroy the sensor and cause engine failure.

FINAL INSPECTION

CHECKLIST

STEP DESCRIPTION

1 Remove/clean/inspect/install reusable parts and components

2 Install new oil cooler, if not equipped on replacement engine

3 Prime and purge Lubrication System before starting the engine

4 Check/adjust fluid levels, ensure proper cooling system fill

5 Allow engine to warm up to operating temperature

6 Verify oil pressure is within specification

7 Verify coolant level

8 Check for loose connections/leaks, adjust/repair as required..."

OP
OP
H

harbinger

Reaction score
So if I'm reading that correctly, I should purge the engine before firing it up because I took the oil pan off? 

Am I ******** for asking if I have an oil cooler? I didn't think there was one on factory. 

Or are you saying I should do that if I let the oil blow out of the pressure gauge hole?

Thanks again for the help, I'm getting ready to put everything else back together. I can't wait to hear the new exhaust. 

Elmo

Reaction score
I believe what M was saying is; in reference to your question about checking the oil pressure sending unit hole for a possible blockage you could.....1- use compressed air to blow it out. (I my self would probably use break cleaner then air), OR 2- you could ensure the sending unit is out and spin the engine over with the ignition disabled ( you DO NOT want the engine to start while you have the oil pressure sending unit removed) and catch the oil, and any chuncks/blockage that comes out, using rags, cheese cloth, or an empty clean container of some sort.  Now as for the purge. YES you should "purge" your engine. Now this "purge" is essentially prelubeing the engine. By following the procedure as mentioned you are/will be pumping oil throughout the lubrication passages in the engine so that your bearings are not dry. You must use prelube/assembly **** upon assembly of an engine  on any two surfaces that will be rubbing or moveing against each other. This prelube will not last very long and that is why its improtant to Purge the oil system.Purging also verifies that the oil pump is functioning and pumping adequate oil press prior to starting an engine.

Most likely you do not have an oil cooler. IF you do it would originate from an adapter and oil lines that are connected to the block where you oil filter is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23