89 bronco dash lights out!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bo-bo

Reaction score
I have no dash lights on my 89 bronco. I was talking to a friend at work. He suggested, after eliminating a blown fuse and all the bulbs miraculously going bad at once that the conductor sheet, or circuit board if you will, had gone bad. I started the tear down and found that the bulbs are good, but I'm wondering how to get the speedo wire unhooked. How does it unhook from the gauge? I'm hoping I don't have to pull the whole cable. Can someone help me with my speedo question? Also can anyone tell me where I can find the replacement circuit board that feeds power to the dash bulbs

pinson27

Reaction score
I have no dash lights on my 89 bronco. I was talking to a friend at work. He suggested, after eliminating a blown fuse and all the bulbs miraculously going bad at once that the conductor sheet, or circuit board if you will, had gone bad. I started the tear down and found that the bulbs are good, but I'm wondering how to get the speedo wire unhooked. How does it unhook from the gauge? I'm hoping I don't have to pull the whole cable. Can someone help me with my speedo question? Also can anyone tell me where I can find the replacement circuit board that feeds power to the dash bulbs
To get that cable out,just reach back there,find the tab on what should be alittle white clip,squeeze it push it in a little,twist it and itll pull right uot.Just push it back on when your ready.sometimes its tricky lining it back up to put back on,theres not a whole lot of space back there.I dont know if its possible to replace the sheet 'cause theres some stuff pressed on,but any salvage yard will most likely have plenty of the whole guage pods for '87-'92....cheap.If you cant locate one in your area,I could find one pretty easily around here.

OP
OP
B

Bo-bo

Reaction score
the headlights still work. Is that still where you suggest I start?

Yardape

Reaction score
yes, the dash light dimmer is part of the headlight switch, that could be burnt out on yours

Shadow_D

Reaction score
REPLACE that switch FIRST! Mine is starting to go bad (headlights work but parking lights and dash lights are funny at times)

OP
OP
B

Bo-bo

Reaction score
My friend's has a 91 F-150 pickup parts truck with a good headlight switch. Looks identical and has the same numbers on it. I installed it and hooked the battery back up. I got back in the bronco pulled the switch out (ignition switch in the off position), and heard the warning bell dinging...Then a pop. It blew a fuse. It blew before could tell if the dash light lit up or not. The graveyard list them as different part numbers so I've ordered one for my year of bronco

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadow_D

Reaction score
That tells me you have a short somewhere in the lighting system. Did you have the headlights on or just the runnung lights?

fourbybuilder

Reaction score
Defanetly try the headlight switch mine was bad and lost all lights on the dash but they would work when you turn on the dome light . Changed the switch fixed the problem

OP
OP
B

Bo-bo

Reaction score
I replaced the switch with a brand new one. I had the truck started and pulled the headlights on. I couldn't see the dash lights on. Shut it off and checked the fuse. Blown again. I came in to post my results and seen the question about where the lights were at, running or headlights. So I went out and tried it without the keys. I had the running lights on and twisted the switch to increse the dash lighting. When I got them to full intensity I seen the dash lights coming on then I heard a pop. and the lights went out. I checked the fuse and it was STILL GOOD! I played with the switch for 3 or 4 minuites more and couldn't get the fuse to ***** but the dash light never came on again, and heard no other pops or snaps.

Shadow_D

Reaction score
Ok check to see if your lights (running) are on when you pull the switch out one click, then try your headlights listening for any "pops" or "snaps" and look to see if they are on. Also w/headlights on check the running lights front and back again checking to see if they are on and make a note as to weather any of the lights are dim. Doing this may help determine where a short might be. If the fuse blows with the headlights then you may have a short in that circuit.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar