89 Bronco w/cracked trans. bellhousing = AOD (door code "T")

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skidlid

Reaction score
New member looking for transmission model info. 1989 Standard Bronco,5.0 L(302CI),door code shows " T ", Trans. tag reads PKB AG1,025775 K21. E9TP - RB. So far this tells me it is an AOD trans. The bell housing is cracked starting at about 5 oclock going around to between 3/2 oclock position on driver side. I haven't pulled the trans.yet so I don't if there is any more damage inside. What amazes me is trans.fluid is full w/no leaks but truck will not move when in gear & reving the engine. I am some what familiar w/ Ford Automatic Trans. ,I just rebuilt a 2009 F-150 trans. " Q " 4R75-E - no reverse & 2005 Explorer " V " 5R55 S frt. pump failier. I am a previous Original Bronco owner,1969 289 or 302 (can't remember) 3 on the tree. Sold it to a friend who kept bugging me to sell it to him ( he caught me in the right mood & I sold it to him ) after he got thru dolling it up I tried to buy it back - no way!! Any way, I am jumping in again. I am nuts at this old age = 77, I have a 2009 F-150 that has turned into the truck from ****, rebuilt yhe trans. & was doing fine, then the 5.4L intake started leaking , dumping water into spark plug holes,now has a blown head gasket.(sick of working on it). 2005 Explorer ( my everyday driver ), 2014 Fusion(wifes), 1989 F-250,(I'm stripping this one) 460 CI,5 spd.manual,4X4,(thinking about putting this engine & trans. in the Bronco ), 1986 Ford Rollback,5.0L /5spd. Manual,Dually.& the last 38 ft. Winnabago HM w/V-10 Ford engine - can you tell I like Ford Products ? I even have a Ford 3000 diesel tractor !!!!

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Hey SkidLid!
Welcome to the Zone
Awesome to see another Ford Diehard!!
I assume the Bronco is new to you, It sounds like someone trying their hand at Trans R&R didn't get the torque converter fully seated in the trans before the install, (hence the crack)
The pump is likely damaged as well.
Pop the outlet cooler line off (The one from the trans to the cooler)
and fire it up and see how much volume the pump is making.
You will likely be wise to source a used or reman trans if this is the case.
I'm not generally a fan of used, but, if the case is cracked and the pump is broken it is unlikely you will get a core credit on a reman.
Plus 77 isn't too old! (A bit past me) but, the tuner on our funnycar team turns 80 next year and most of the crew can't keep up with him!
Good luck with it
Cheers

OP
OP
S

Skidlid

Reaction score
L\Bronco, Yeah,It's new "to me"! I keep jumping back to it as I've too many projects in the shop. Hope to get back to it as soon as I get F-250 stripped.
Never thought about pulling the cooler line. That will be a quick check .
I forgot an other Ford I have = 98 Ranger,4.0L,5spd. manual,stepside - waiting on my Granddaughter who just got her temps, too make up her mind if she wants a truck, I spoil my GD's, gave her older sister my 03 Explorer.
Now my midddle one wants my 05 Explorer instead of the Ranger.
I have a family in Bradford, Ontario, we are very good friends with,we all used to meet up at Canal Lake near Lake Simico in Ontario. Had some really good luck fishing up there. Canuks didn't like to eat Bass until we showed up & had a fish fry with all Bass ( They used to only eat Walleye & Muskey untill our fish fry ,then a bunch of them started showing up at dock every morn to go out fishing w/my brother in law & myself) They always showed up w/lots of LaBatts & Molsons !!!
Any way thanks for the info. By the way, do you know of any one that has put a 460 CI in a Bronco ?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Skidlid,
Welcome to our Bronco community!

See these 1989 Ford Truck Service Manuals - Google Drive
Click "Drive" in pop-up
Includes:
1989 Ford Bronco Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual
1989 Bronco & Ford Truck Emissions Manual
1989 Ford Car/Truck Pre-Delivery Manual
1989 Light Duty Truck Volume A: Body/Chassis/Electrical Volume 1 of 2 note
Google Drive "can't scan this file for viruses. It is too large for Google to scan for viruses
." Although Google states, "Would you still like to download this file?" It CAN be downloaded and I found no virus reared its ugly head..
&
1989 Light Duty Truck Volume A: Body/Chassis/Electrical Volume 2 of 2
1989 Light Duty Truck Volume B: Engine

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf found by BroncMom!

See my mostly recovered site by schwim @ Ford Bronco And F-150 Links - FORD BRONCO It contains boo-koo component repairs, installation & parts sources.

1989 Ford Bronco Dealer Brochure

1989 Bronco Lubricant Specifications by Ford via Gary

Last edited:

L\Bronco

Reaction score
L\Bronco, Yeah,It's new "to me"! I keep jumping back to it as I've too many projects in the shop. Hope to get back to it as soon as I get F-250 stripped.
Never thought about pulling the cooler line. That will be a quick check .
I forgot an other Ford I have = 98 Ranger,4.0L,5spd. manual,stepside - waiting on my Granddaughter who just got her temps, too make up her mind if she wants a truck, I spoil my GD's, gave her older sister my 03 Explorer.
Now my midddle one wants my 05 Explorer instead of the Ranger.
I have a family in Bradford, Ontario, we are very good friends with,we all used to meet up at Canal Lake near Lake Simico in Ontario. Had some really good luck fishing up there. Canuks didn't like to eat Bass until we showed up & had a fish fry with all Bass ( They used to only eat Walleye & Muskey untill our fish fry ,then a bunch of them started showing up at dock every morn to go out fishing w/my brother in law & myself) They always showed up w/lots of LaBatts & Molsons !!!
Any way thanks for the info. By the way, do you know of any one that has put a 460 CI in a Bronco ?
I'm pretty sure there is someone out there who has. It sounds like an awesome idea!
If you have the whole donor truck, then it should be easy peasy.
Just swap everything over including the PCM and underhood harness. The pedals should fit too. Any speedbumps should be pretty minor.
I have a build thread in here showing a bit of my journey with my 79.
Maybe it will inspire you. This will get you there.
I have always been a Ford guy, 15ish years as a tech in a large Ford dealer up here.
We are called the Auto rescue of Alberta. I have been through many vehicles, mostly Fords along with some attempts to stray, (BMW's Mercedes, Chevys ect...) But proud to say, Never a Dodge!
I have had at least one of every Gen of Bronco (Except the re-pops)
79 is by far my favorite along with my 69 mustang on the car side.
(The 2010 GT ragtop is pretty comfy though.)
If it was my dilemma, Id jump straight into the swap as cleaning up someone else's mess
Can be expensive and very frustrating. Plus. I'm a sucker for a challenge!
Good luck with it!
Cheers

OP
OP
S

Skidlid

Reaction score
Yo Skidlid,
Welcome to our Bronco community!

See these 1989 Ford Truck Service Manuals - Google Drive
Click "Drive" in pop-up
Includes:
1989 Ford Bronco Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual
1989 Bronco & Ford Truck Emissions Manual
1989 Ford Car/Truck Pre-Delivery Manual
1989 Light Duty Truck Volume A: Body/Chassis/Electrical Volume 1 of 2 note
Google Drive "can't scan this file for viruses. It is too large for Google to scan for viruses
." Although Google states, "Would you still like to download this file?" It CAN be downloaded and I found no virus reared its ugly head..
&
1989 Light Duty Truck Volume A: Body/Chassis/Electrical Volume 2 of 2
1989 Light Duty Truck Volume B: Engine

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf found by BroncMom!

See my mostly recovered site by schwim @ Ford Bronco And F-150 Links - FORD BRONCO It contains boo-koo component repairs, installation & parts sources.

1989 Ford Bronco Dealer Brochure

1989 Bronco Lubricant Specifications by Ford via Gary
Thanks for the info,M5

Jimbo26

Reaction score
Hey Skid, welcome aboard.
Back in the 90s I was involved in a 351M to 429 conversion on a SWB '79 F150 4x4- ruffly the same thing as that years Bronc.
It's fairly straightforward, with the right components.
We used H o oker headers and I believe the same outfit made the motor mounts to adapt & a aftermarket rear sump oil pan. That's pretty much it, depending on other requirements you may have, like a 4 row radiator & such.
The 429 was well built and had a old school '3/4' cam. Even with the 300 lb. cast iron Rockwell transfer case, the truck was taking on camaro's, mustangs, etc and putting the spank 👋💥on things.
No idea what it was capable of offroad as lost track of the owner after a while.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane