1977 Ranger Package where to start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Enthusiast1977

Reaction score
Alright folks this is going to be the first of many posts.  I am a complete NooB in every sense of the word when it comes to repairing/restoring auto anything.  I am eager to get my hands dirty but I am looking for a place to start.  I did my homework when it came to buying and i bought what I consider a solid 1977 Ranger package from Colorado.  It has power steering, disc brakes and it is an automatic.  It has the 302 and it is a runner.  Brakes seem to be good and it drives straight.  The plan for this project is to have as much fun driving it around with the family as possible while I fix it up.  I am not looking for a show vehicle but would like to get it in good enough condition to get a decent paint job on it and make sure to seal the crap out of the entire Bronco so that it does not rust away.  I am looking to keep it for a very long time. 

So where do I start? 

Do you start from the top down or the ground up? 

Do I spend a bunch of time on my back sanding the underneith side before I look to get it sealed or do I just seal it? 

What are the essential tools for starting out on a project like this?

Grinder? Dremel? Orbital sander?

Any advice on where to start would be much appreciated

image.jpeg

image-1.jpeg

image-2.jpeg

image-3.jpeg

image-4.jpeg

image-5.jpeg

image-6.jpeg

image-7.jpeg

image-8.jpeg

image-9.jpeg

image-10.jpeg

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Welcome E-1977,

Looks like a solid truck, and you sound ready to get started. 

The first thing to do is inspect and be sure the vehicle is safe.  Check the brakes all around for any leaks, broken parts, etc. repair any issue there first.

Check steering and suspension, and repair issues there, then go to the cooking system, and charging systems, basic belts hoses, fluids etc. Get everything in good order before worrying about the body or interior.

Looks like a previous owner did some mods....are they done properly?  There is a thick wire on a  battery terminal nut that makes me nervous.

A question for you...is the underside coated with dirt or is that all rust?

If it's dirt, ok...I would recommend an old school way of rust proofing.  That's spraying the underside with used motor oil. The oil gets absorbed by the dirt and prevents water from penetrating into nooks and crannies. Just knock off the big chunks of dirt first. Saves a lot of time and money to be spent on other things.

The alternative is getting under there and scraping and sanding until everything is clean, then hitting it with undercoating.....lots of work.

Check that the local code won't put you in jail if you do use oil, and always use safety equipment and protection for your eyes and body.

Needed tools to start?......basic hand tools, safety protection, and common sense.

Good Luck.

OP
OP
E

Enthusiast1977

Reaction score
perfect!  Thank you for the advice. The weird cable i believe is fr the winch on the front bumper that I did not have a picture of.  It is mostly dirt but I am thinking i am going to do the DIRTY and scrape the crap out of the dirt and rust and seal the bottom really really well.  It is going to be a summer vehicle but I figure sweat doesn't cost much other than my sanity.  I do live in Illinois as well so our roads are salted in winter not that I will be running around in it in the winter. 

As for tools I should be set on what you recommend.  I am going to start working tonight.

Thanks again!

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Since you decided on the scrape and sand route, check out Eastwood.com.  Their rust encapsulater, and rust convertor products are exceptionally good.

Good luck, and You're Welcome

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
E

Enthusiast1977

Reaction score
alright all is in safe and proper working order. tuned the carb and it is running properly. haven't started scraping yet but it is next on my list.

I have a few body panel questions. I am having trouble finding a drivers side rear quarter panel with 2 fuel doors. every thing I see says must be modified for a 1977. does anyone know of anywhere they stamp out the 1977 ones? does anyone know anyone that has a good one for sale? I like the doors.

here is a picture of what the exterior looks like.

the other picture is of the side mirror bracket. does anyone recognize it? I can't find any mirrors like it for sale anywhere.

thanks

image.jpg

image.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david@holycitytransportat