Do doors exist that can be used with inserts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoss408

Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing a '68 Bronco with a full fiberglass body and door inserts. It has a soft top and no doors. Are there any doors made that can be used without removing the inserts? I like the look of the door inserts and want to keep them, but the truck will be parked outside and I'll be driving some when it is raining, etc. Thanks!

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey Hoss, Welcome.

What are door inserts?  Are you asking if there is a way to get the truck "dry', or protection from the elements?

depending on the design of the fiberglass, and/or your abilities doing bodywork, you may be able to fit original steel doors.

What will you be using the truck for?  Depending on your intended use, it may be a better idea to get a steel body truck.

Good Luck

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi Hoss.., welcome..!

Short answer "YES"

There are rag-doors (see my photos)  They work great, rain or shine..!

They come in full., half., lower see-thru., full/two piece as well I believe. (window comes off)

Several of the EB suppliers have them.  I believe a hard door would have to be homemade.

OP
OP
H

Hoss408

Reaction score
Ron - When I mention "door inserts", I am referring to the fiberglass inserts that can be added to the opening of an early Bronco to give it the "Roadster" model look. I may be using the wrong term, I am new to the world of early Broncs!

Bob - Thanks for the info, I like the ones on your rig, they look like exactly what I am looking for. Were they on the truck when you got it or did you buy them? If you bought them, any recommended vendors? Thanks again!

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
You're correct.., they're "door inserts" ....,  they came fr. the factory that way.., & later on, they were offered by after market EB suppliers.

The doors are all after market.  Most of the EB stores have them. 

My doors are over 20 yrs. old & were on the rig when I bought it.

They last for ever as they're only used in winter & foul weather.

(believe it or not.., black lasts many times longer than any other color..!)

Don't know where you are..., on the left coast there's wildhorses4x4.com for one ......

The doors come with instructions but  use the "old rule" check-n-measure 4 times...., cut/and or drill once. :-B

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
H

Hoss408

Reaction score
Ron - It's going to be an occasional driver, when the weather is too bad for the Harley, and some fun heading to the beach and maybe some mild 4-wheeling in mud!

Bob - Thanks, I'll check them out! Looked at a few sites and have seen some that I think will work, that's good to know on the black color since the one I am looking at has a black top. Thanks again for the help!

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
"Looked at a few sites and have seen some that I think will work"
Check me on this but, I'm pretty sure all the EB tops & doors are the same. i.e. made to the orig. design. (save some window mods, etc.)

Ask the supplier you pick.., the door frames & fabric should  interchange.

The assembled doors un-snap & slide up and out of two attach points.  One, a hole in the bottom of the insert.., the other a bracket attached to the top of the windshield frame. It all works well & seals up great..!!  I've been in many a storm & not a drop on me...

UPDATE: The 2 piece doors recess approx. 1/2 way into the inserts. Mine, & the orig design do not. They rest on the outside on the inserts.

The 2 piece doors likely have diff. attach points & some door latch hardware to mount into the inserts. (some sort of hole made there)

Jeffs Bronco Graveyard still has the orig. one-piece doors. They fit flush & prob. a bit easier to install   :D/

OP
OP
H

Hoss408

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the updated info, Bob! I was thinking about the 2-piece doors, just figured they'd be easier to store when not being used, but thinking now the one-piece (original) style might work better. I'll definitely look at Jeff's BG for them!

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Yah.., they're both fine..., it's just a preference thing.

I can't get my head 'round the lower door being recessed in.., but that's just me.

At the end of the day.., neither style is actually "beautiful" but they get the job done.

The door skins on the one piece slip over the frames & are snugged in place with lots of velcro.

They can be removed & replaced if ever damaged.  I don't know if thats the case with the 2 piece.

Whichever you choose.., they'll get the job done.

HAVE FUN..,

B

walkercreekbronco

Reaction score
I have the 2 piece Bestop doors.  I usually run the bottoms even with no top because it helps keep the dirt from swirling around.  However, the tops don't seal up well.  It is cold in the winter.

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
You could also get some factory beater doors and cut them down too half doors. Or run full doors, which I always preferred with windows down.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar