Semi-Sad Day in Bronco Land

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RR-Texas

Reaction score
Sadly after today I guess the Big Red Bronco will have to sit for a while, seems the folks that owned it before, removed the cats, while I knew this after the fact I did not think much of it being 20 years old. However the State of Texas does emissions testing on vehicles out to 24 years in non-attainment counties. Since I don't have an extra $1000 at the moment I guess it's back to the Little Red Rigid motorcycle. I better go get me a Starbucks and be sad.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JLasvegas

Reaction score
why would you be out $1000? you can pick up cats for around 95 bucks My 89 has one cat on it and a flowmaster muffler and it passed a strict emissions test

OP
OP
RR-Texas

RR-Texas

Reaction score
No place to add the one cat, it was dualed out right past the O2 sensor by the transfer and bends twice before going over the axle, so no room there. I can get small Mangaflows from the parts house for a hundred each, the grand was the quote from one place. Forgot the smog stuff is gone, pump is there but nothing else, I guess I need to see what he factory stuff looked like, don't mind doing it but whether a grand or 500, no job so may take a while. Anyone have a link or such to something that shows the factory system, did not see any thing in Jeff's , got to find my L M C catalog. My understanding is the county in came from was not doing the testing last year, but started now.

OP
OP
RR-Texas

RR-Texas

Reaction score
Mine is a dual setup to the O2 sensor at a crossover between the two pipes, then it went into the cat and was single past that from what I have learned? Don't believe there would be enough room down hat side for a converter. I am gonna go look at Magnaflows website. Thanks

OP
OP
RR-Texas

RR-Texas

Reaction score
I had the same problem a few years ago I had to slap all the smog BS back on and bought a magnaflow 3in Cat in and she passed in Arlington,Tx i'm not sure if Houston is any different I ordered the cat off summit racing and I think cat and super 44 flowmaster I was out like $150 I hope it helps

I will be in Galveston in July with the 7.3 bronco it will be its first trip since the swap

And thanks allot for the pillar gauge I just got through putting mine in,Sam
How hard was the diesel install?

OP
OP
RR-Texas

RR-Texas

Reaction score
Looking on EBay fo a factory parts manual, so far no luck. There are some service manuals or sm CDs? Haven't read the entire thing yet. Anyone have a hook up to a parts manual or CD for the 93?

Just tried Helm Inc does not look lik they have one, did get on the list for the factory shop manuals

Ok just remembered Ford Parts.com, man am I missing a bunch of stuff!

I had thought the front half of the exhaust was correct, not according to Ford Parts, entered the VIN now I have to crawl back under there and see how it is that O2 sensor is so far back

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo RR, What engine is in the Bronco? and I ASSume it is a 93; correct?

If you go with a stock exhaust; consider WALKER exact replacement exh parts, I use Walker, who was and prob still is Ford's OE supplier (esp for our Broncos)

Use pn's and gOOgle for sources & prices; then try locally and have them beat or match prices.

Use aluminized or SS

12573_resized.gif

if not a 93 5.0 Bronco then find the cat converter in Walker's catalog @ http://www.walkerexhaust.com/

1993 - Ford Bronco

5.0 Liter V8

Replaces Both Front & Rear OE Converters; Not legal for sale on vehicles licensed in the state of California.; May require [p#:1,35574] Air Tube Kit for installation.; Replaces multiple O.E. Converters. Only failed Converters may be replaced. See Catalytic Converter Installation Guide.; Not legal for California emission vehicles licensed in New York state. Other states may require CARB compliant parts. Consult your state authority for details. Front and Rear Standard Direct Fit PART NUMBER 15742

Fitment Direct Fit

Inlet Count 2

Inlet Connection Type 2 Bolt Spherical Flare Loose ******

Outlet Count 1

Outlet Diameter 1 2.250"

Outlet Diameter Designation Outside Diameter

Outlet Connection Type Pipe Connection

Body Material Stainless Steel

Body Shape Large Oval

Substrate Material Ceramic

Overall Length 77.563"

Oxygen sensor location Pre Catalyst

Feature and Benefit Walker® Standard Catalytic Converters, available for Pre-OBD (1995 and older) vehicles are engineered with durable stainless steel bodies. Walker® Catalytic Converters, an industry leader for import and domestic applications, meet EPA emission requirements, and have a 25,000-mile catalytic performance warranty, in addition to a 5-year/50,000-mile structural integrity warranty.

Designed for use on Pre-OBDII vehicles. (1995 and older)

Stainless steel body, heat-shielded pipe and structural brace for enhanced strength and durability.

Meet EPA emission requirements

25,000-mile catalytic performance warranty / 5-year 50,000-mile structural integrity warranty

Walker 15742 Direct Fit Converter

$231.05 - eBay

Buy It Now with Free Shipping!

http://compare.ebay.com/like/300907010455?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

$184.95

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-15742

$199.97

Only 1 left in stock.

http://www.amazon.com/Walker-15742-Catalytic-Converter/dp/B003X33KEE

Ships from and sold by Auto Barn

I know someone who prob has the 93 Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual/Powertrain Controls and Emission Diagnosis Manual(EVTM/PCED) for Pin-Point Tests; should be around $12.00; best $ you'll ever spend

may have a Workshop Manual; I'll ask him soon.

Service Disk Installation & Use

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/2742/66609

by Steve

OP
OP
RR-Texas

RR-Texas

Reaction score
Thanks again miesk5 you always have the hook ups. I will print it out and see what I can find? I always try and save the stuff you share in case you are on vacation and I can help someone out. It is a 93 but has a 5.8 now, came with the 5.0

Anyway my first issue will be the fact that this was my daily driver, so now I am back to the bikes which is ok but I have to replace the transmission in the Shovelhead so I can carry things when needed. My rigid frame is ok but won't transport much. In between jobs so may take a bit to get it done.

I really thought the front half was Ford, but not even close, I think the pump and most of the rubber lines and such will be ok I will just need the hard lines to the exhaust I hope!?

Sam maybe I can ride down and check out the diesel install when you hit Galveston?

I sure miss the days when there were folks with slightly less moral fiber as that would be the easier fix, won't lie tried going to Brehnam even, as they don't do testing. I find it strange that trucking and transit have to meet all these regulations for diesel but not the big 3, I was behind a new Chevy paper tags and it just bellowing smoke but does not have to meet any type of testing. It will get worked out slowly.

Thanks for the help!

Richard

OP
OP
RR-Texas

RR-Texas

Reaction score
Tried going to a non testing county, had I known it was an issue I would have began to find a solution much earlier. La Marque is a bit far from where I am at now that it is expired. I have had my big trucks shut down, but never seen a one ton pulled over down here.

I have been thinking about getting one when things straighten out, we took the Tahoe I had to Sturgis, maybe slightly overloaded, took an hour and a half longer than it should have and about 2 tanks of fuel more now it had had trans issues sent I bought it. Figure if there is too much for the bed at least a F250 won't have any trouble pulling the trailer.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar