Tilt Steering Column issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMagilla73

Reaction score
I have owned my 92 Bronco XLT 5.0 for just about 2 years and have just recently been able to start working on it. The steering wheel is "wobbly" so I did some reading on here about the best way to remove it, well I got it out and now I am trying to get the 2 T-30 bolts out that hold the tilt together... It appears the previous owner tried to fix the wobble by tightening the bolts that hold the tilt together... I have broke 2 torx bits and twisted one beyond recognition. Due to the aluminum housing, I am nervous about using heat.

Got any other suggestions?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo M M!

WELCOME!

Some Torx sockets leave a lot to be desire in Quality terms. Sort of loike comparing Dollar Store screwdrivers to Craftsman, SPX or other hi Q brands

Try inserting PB Blaster penetrant first and tapping eac bolt slightly to help the blaster to..penetrate

This is how KC did it;

dscf0327.jpg

wrench and T 30 socket

dscf0308.jpg

Then you will have to fight the jaws on the underside of the column to remove the tilt piece. You will be left with this:

GL!

OP
OP
M

MrMagilla73

Reaction score
PB Blaster worked very well! You were right about fighting those jaws... WOW!

I have the steering column tore down to the shaft and the bearings on the upper portion of the shaft (the tilt part) fell a part when I got it out of the housing. I am having a heck of a time finding information about replacement bearings... the shaft is still in good condition only showing a little wear in the area of the rear bearing, so I don't need to replace the intermediate shaft, I just need to put new bearings in it...

Help?>?>?>?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo

Look in Ford's MC site @ http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?y=1992&m=Ford&mo=Bronco#Search

92tiltstrgcol.JPG

These are the Ford MC short parts numbers;

Steering Column Bearing

Upper - large (50mm OD 40mm ID) $9.13

Steering Column Bearing

Upper (small) 30.20mm OD, 19.20mm ID $8.30

Stop by your Dealer's parts and show them the diagram and bearing needed; our local Parts folks are great and will inspect parts too! As well as look for parts @ other dealer nationwide and in Ford warehouses.

Another source is; Our SPONSOR HERE Jeff's Bronco Graveyard

I thought Jeff's Listed the 92-96 Bearings, but I don't see it listed now; call and ask

here is the Column site(it is hidden in Interior Section and not part of the Steering Category???)

----------------

& w/vg info & pics!

http://www.steeringcolumnservices.com/ford/housing-bearings.php

Ford Steering Column Upper Bearing (Large)

This large bearing is not visible until the upper lock housing (Bearing housing) is removed. When this bearing disintegrates, it may damage the steering shaft. The upper bearings are usually replaced in a set. Dimension 2" OD

Our Part # BRG22

OEM # F4DZ 3517 C

Programming here in da Zone won't allow this image to be posted, so click to view.

http://www.steeringcolumnservices.com/ford/brg22-f4dz-3517-c-upper-bearing-large.phpFits Makes: Ford Cars & Trucks

Fits Years: 1992-2008

$21.50

&

Ford Steering Column Upper Bearing (Small)

The small upper bearing is often the first bearing to disintegrate when play develops in the upper column on Ford steering columns causing loosness. Most often when this bearing is bad, the lower and large bearing is also bad. Dimension 1¼" OD

Our Part # BRG21

OEM # F4DZ 3517 B

Fits Makes: Ford Cars & Trucks

$18.97

Ford Steering Column Upper Housing Bearings & Retainer Kit

The Ford steering column often develops looseness in the tilt steering shaft and in the housing bearing. The steering wheel moves due to the small or large bearings being damaged, worn out or broken. The upper bearings are usually replaced as a set.

Our Part # BRG230

Fits Makes: Ford Cars & Trucks

$89.95 Special Pricing

Also, they have brought back the Free parts break-out diagram! No Bronco

listed, so look @ F150 looks same as that by Ford above.

--------------

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar