Steering sensitivity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryeder

Reaction score
Greetings. It's been a while since I last posted a question on my Bronco. I've been spending most of my time wrenching on a 71 C10. But, I have been reading about steering wheel sensitivity and that there is an adjustment for the pump pressure. I also read that changing the camber will help. Everything else checks out but the steering still seems over sensitive... thanks for any tips.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Caster helps the steering wheel return to center after a turn and helps the vehicle go down the road straight.

More negative camber, drives straighter and steering returns better, but it is harder to turn the steering wheel and the vehicle rides rougher.

Does your steering wheel return to center? Or do you have to steer it back to center?

If you have to steer it back to center, as in won't center by itself you have something binding, which is usually a ball joint.

Not sure I have ever heard of turning pump pressure down. Hopefully one of the other guys has some input.

OP
OP
ryeder

ryeder

Reaction score
Steering returns to center...for the most part. And thank you for your input. Think I will just go back to the squarebody...lol

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Friends,
Following from 1996 Bronco/F Series Workshop Manual, partial

PINPOINT TEST C: POWER STEERING SYSTEM TESTS, F-150, F-250, F-350, F-SUPER DUTY CHASSIS CAB AND BRONCO​

C1 FLOW RATE AND PRESSURE CHECK​

• Remove the power steering pressure hose from the power steering pump and connect it into the appropriate adapter of the analyzer.
  • Thread the other adapter of the analyzer into the power steering pump.
  • Connect the analyzer to the adapters and tighten both to 20 Nm (15 lb-ft).
  • NOTE: The analyzer may be connected at alternate points between the power steering pump and the steering gear.

• Add power steering fluid to the power steering pump as required.
  • Startengine and run at idle for approximately 2 minutes.
  • Record the flow and pressure at 74-79°C (165-175°F).
Is the pressure above 1034 kPa (150 psi)?
YesNo
CHECK for worn or damagedsteering gear, restricted gear passages or restricted power steering hoses. REPAIR or REPLACE as required.GO to C2.

C2 FLOW RATE CHECK, GATE VALVE PARTIALLY CLOSED​

• Partially close the power steering pump valve and allow the pressure to build to 5102 kPa (740 psi) for C-II pump. Record the flow at 74-79°C (165-175°F).
Is the flow rate below specifications?
YesNo
REPLACE pump. REFER to Section 11-02A or Section 11-02C.GO to C3.

C3 PRESSURE CHECK, GATE VALVE OPENED AND CLOSED​

• ani_caut.gif CAUTION: Do not allow the power steering pump valve to remain closed for more than 5 seconds.
  • Completely close and partially open the power steering pump valve three times.
  • ani_caut.gif CAUTION: Do not allow fluid temperature to exceed 93.4°C (200°F) during the test. Allow fluid to cool to 54.4°C (130°F) before resuming test if overheating occurs.
  • Record the pressure.
Is pressure within specifications?
YesNo
GO to C4.REPLACE power steering pump.

C4 FLOW RATE CHECK, ENGINE RUNNING AT 1500 RPM​

• Increase engine speed to 1500 rpm.
  • Record free flow rate and compare it with the flow rate measured in Step C1.
Is the flow rate within 3.8 liters/min. (1 gallon/min.) of the flow rate measured in Step C1?
YesNo
GO to C5.REPLACE the power steering pump.

C5 PRESSURE AND FLOW RATE CHECK, STEERING WHEEL TURNED FROM STOP TO STOP​

• Turn the steering wheel from the left stop to the right stop.
  • Record the pressure and the flow rate.
Is the recorded pressure approximately the same as the pressure recorded in Step C3 and does the flow rate drop below 1.9 liters/min. (0.5 gallons/min.)?
YesNo
GO to C6.Excessive internal leakage in gear. SERVICE or REPLACE steering gear.

C6 BACK PRESSURE CHECK​

• turn steering wheel slightly in both directions and release quickly while observing the pressure gauge.
Does the needle return to normal back-pressure reading and snap back as the wheel is released?
YesNo
System is OK.CHECK the column for free rotation before disassembling the gear. SERVICE the steering gear for sticking rotary valve as required. GO to C7.

C7 BALL JOINT AND LINKAGE CHECK​

• turn steering wheel slightly in both directions and release quickly while observing the pressure gauge.
Does the needle move from the normal back-pressure reading and snap back as the steering wheel is released?
YesNo
System is OK.SERVICE the front wheel spindle inner connecting rod ends or ball joints or the steering sector shaft arm drag link, as required.

PINPOINT TEST D: POWER STEERING SYSTEM TESTS, F-SUPER DUTY MOTORHOME CHASSIS VEHICLES​

OP
OP
ryeder

ryeder

Reaction score
Good day to you Miesk5. Thank you muchly for your input. Still going back to work on the squarebody...lol

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane