Differential Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bebop Man

Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade my my rig, from an open 3.55 to a limited slip 4.10. But I wanted to try and clarify something for my research.

Is there a diff that effectively runs as an open diff, until the wheels start to slip,then locks up? The one I saw claims it's a 100% lockup in straightline running until the wheels need to slip for turning a corner.

Since I'm most often on snow or ice more than I'm in mud or on rocks, I'd prefer the former operation rather than the latter.

zintrex

Reaction score
im also looking for some info about this.

i live in Norway and we have winter half the year.

and i imagine a regular track lock carrier is not the best option for winter driving.

are i correct in assuming that driving with a track lock on winter roads is almost like driving with a spool?

or is the track lock "soft" enogh to behave on normal winter roads?

i have a spool in my bronc atm and to be honest its a nightmare on icy roads.

shift1313

Reaction score
Well you have a few things to consider. An open diff is obviously an open diff, no mystery there. The stock 8.8 LSD rear end has clutch packs in it. Under normal driving it operates as an open diff until one wheel slips. You can change the friction or rather the amount of slip which it takes to "lock" by changing the plate configuration around. Lots of guys with mustangs do this. It sounds like this is what you want to do.

Really your only other option is a Locker so you can select when both axles are locked together.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar