fuel injection to carb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

81bronco

Reaction score
hey i need a little help on what i gotta do to swap a 86 fi 302 to carburated? the reason im doing this is i dont have everything for the fi and i got a 2 barrel intake off a 83 302 will this work? and also would i be able to use my automatic tranny?i was told that i coulnt use it cause supposidly the tranny runs on the computer and stuff from the fi.

thanx any help would be appreciated

Anthony

Yardape

Reaction score
Shouldnt be a problem. Only issue would be the distributor/ignition system and fuel delivery. For mine I bought an electric fuel pump, fuel lines, regulator and filter from summit and a MSD ready to run distributor. Easy as that. I have an 89 and put in a carbed 460 by the way

OP
OP

81bronco

Reaction score
Shouldnt be a problem. Only issue would be the distributor/ignition system and fuel delivery. For mine I bought an electric fuel pump, fuel lines, regulator and filter from summit and a MSD ready to run distributor. Easy as that. I have an 89 and put in a carbed 460 by the way
why would i have to change ignition system and disrbuter? sorry im kinda new to this....and i've also got a electric fuel pump and stuff

Anthony

Broncobill78

Reaction score
why would i have to change ignition system and disrbuter? sorry im kinda new to this....and i've also got a electric fuel pump and stuff
Anthony
You'll need the intake & carb but the electric fuel pumps in the truck (feed pump in the fuel tank & the high pressure pump on the framerail) produce too much pressure for a carb. You *might* get away with stepping it down through an adjustable fuel pressure regulator but I always seem to hear that guys who go that route aren't happy with it and wind up up swapping over to either a mechanical pump or a low pressure electric designed to work with a carb. You'll also need a duraspark distributor & matching ignition module. Your current distributor & ECM are designed to work with the fuel injection (the distributor gets it's signals from the ECM and the ECM won't sent out the trigger signals if it doesn't see the injectors)

So, in a nutshell what you need to do is swap in an intake, carb, distributor, ignition module & a low pressure electric fuel pump and you're good to go.

I'm in the process of helping a friend convert an 88' to a carb, scroll over one page in this forum & you'll find the thread "converting an 88' to carb" (sorry, tried to paste the link but this new version of FireFox doesn't let me right-click anything anymore, arrrgh)

http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18694

Hah, figured out how to insert it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Unless someone swapped transmissions you've got an AOD which will run just fine regardless of fuel system since it's a mechanical 4-speed. The later AOD-E/E4OD uses the ECM to lockup the torque converter for overdrive and that *would* be a problem for you but you don't have one so it's not a problem. The AOD is a good transmission and you'll be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar