OBD 1 to OBD 2 port

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott8

Reaction score
I have a '96, but can't find an OBD 2 port anywhere. I have, however, found an OBD 1 port in the engine bay (pictured below). According to the internet, everything after 1 Jan '96 should have an OBD 2 port; however, this Bronco was manufactured in Mexico/South America to be sold in South America. So I assume this regulation was only for the US-based cars.

My question is this: I assume the computers for all Ford Broncos were the same that year - able to be read by an OBD 2 port. So even though there is only an OBD 1 port, with an adapter, the EEC could be read by an OBD 2 port?

Obviously, I'd like to read codes. But my second reason is that I'd like to plug in a GPS to the OBD 2 port as a mitigation to car-jacking. There are some GPSs that can even disable the car through the OBD 2 port if needed. (I'm US military living in South America, and car-jacking is very common.)

As a secondary thought, anyone know of any other major differences between '96 Broncos manufactured for the US vs. those manufactured for South America? The only other thing I've noticed is that the VIN doesn't have the same format or number of digits.

Attachments

• EEC-OBD1Port.jpg
    EEC-OBD1Port.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 6

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Never heard of someone doing what you are trying to do, but it makes sense.

I would imagine to convert to OBD2 you need wire harness for engine and PCM. Not sure, just guessing.

Also don't know for sure but my belief was that vehicles built for places like south america didn't need emissions or the same safety standards we have in the USA that is why they are different.
Probably not required to update yet so they used the left over parts for other countries rather than throw them out.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
I have a '96, but can't find an OBD 2 port anywhere. I have, however, found an OBD 1 port in the engine bay (pictured below). According to the internet, everything after 1 Jan '96 should have an OBD 2 port; however, this Bronco was manufactured in Mexico/South America to be sold in South America. So I assume this regulation was only for the US-based cars.

My question is this: I assume the computers for all Ford Broncos were the same that year - able to be read by an OBD 2 port. So even though there is only an OBD 1 port, with an adapter, the EEC could be read by an OBD 2 port?

Obviously, I'd like to read codes. But my second reason is that I'd like to plug in a GPS to the OBD 2 port as a mitigation to car-jacking. There are some GPSs that can even disable the car through the OBD 2 port if needed. (I'm US military living in South America, and car-jacking is very common.)

As a secondary thought, anyone know of any other major differences between '96 Broncos manufactured for the US vs. those manufactured for South America? The only other thing I've noticed is that the VIN doesn't have the same format or number of digits.
Hey Scott
Tiha is correct, North American sold vehicles were required to be OBD2 compliant by 1996, offshore sales had very different rules and implementation dates. Yours is definitely OBD-1 so they are completely different. EEC-4 Fords (OBD1) use a 60 pin PCM that uses 8 bit processing, While an EEC 5 (OBD2) system uses a 104 pin PCM that uses 32 bit processing.
They don't speak the same language, so you would need to replace the PCM plus the majority of the main harnesses, along with several of the engine sensors. The sensors are basically the same, but Ford had a nasty habit of changing the connector style between models.
Just treat it like a 95.
They didn't share the same safety standards either, so there may be differences in the light lenses, seatbelt system, it may not have airbags or ABS.
I've never met a Bronco from South America, so I'm guessing on some of this.
Hope that helps
Cheers

OP
OP
Scott8

Scott8

Reaction score
Hey Scott
Tiha is correct, North American sold vehicles were required to be OBD2 compliant by 1996, offshore sales had very different rules and implementation dates. Yours is definitely OBD-1 so they are completely different. EEC-4 Fords (OBD1) use a 60 pin PCM that uses 8 bit processing, While an EEC 5 (OBD2) system uses a 104 pin PCM that uses 32 bit processing.
They don't speak the same language, so you would need to replace the PCM plus the majority of the main harnesses, along with several of the engine sensors. The sensors are basically the same, but Ford had a nasty habit of changing the connector style between models.
Just treat it like a 95.
They didn't share the same safety standards either, so there may be differences in the light lenses, seatbelt system, it may not have airbags or ABS.
I've never met a Bronco from South America, so I'm guessing on some of this.
Hope that helps
Cheers
Thanks. That's beyond my abilities and motivation level for this project. This helps rule out some options that would have turned out to be a waste of time.

Out of curiosity, why would they sell an adapters if the pins/bits/processing are so different they cannot talk. Is there at least a limited functionality? or are these just for suckers to buy?

1699636874665.png

L\Bronco

Reaction score
I looked at those, one of them is described as air conditioning knobs, another one said easy to carry.:rolleyes:
Soooo...
In theory it would work with generic scan tool that was compatible with the cable. (It has to be able to read Fords obd1 data stream and know which pin it is on in the adapter.)
So, theoretically it could work, but you might go through several scanners to find the compatible one.
One of the reasons for the standardized DLC was that everyones stuff was so different, the aftermarket scanners had to have a box full of adapters to talk to everyones vehicle.
Being after 1991, yours will have a data line in the connector, there is a chance that line gets connected to pin 7 in the obd2 side and a generic code reader might be able to talk to it. (It might not know what the code definitions are though.
If you have an obd2 code reader currently, it might be a safe gamble to try a cheap adapter and see if it works.
Good luck
Cheers

OP
OP
Scott8

Scott8

Reaction score
I looked at those, one of them is described as air conditioning knobs, another one said easy to carry.:rolleyes:
Soooo...
In theory it would work with generic scan tool that was compatible with the cable. (It has to be able to read Fords obd1 data stream and know which pin it is on in the adapter.)
So, theoretically it could work, but you might go through several scanners to find the compatible one.
One of the reasons for the standardized DLC was that everyones stuff was so different, the aftermarket scanners had to have a box full of adapters to talk to everyones vehicle.
Being after 1991, yours will have a data line in the connector, there is a chance that line gets connected to pin 7 in the obd2 side and a generic code reader might be able to talk to it. (It might not know what the code definitions are though.
If you have an obd2 code reader currently, it might be a safe gamble to try a cheap adapter and see if it works.
Good luck
Cheers
Thanks. I'll try that. At least now, if it doesn't work, I'll have confidence that's it was a long shot anyway, and not "operator error" - as is usually the case with me.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane