AIR INTAKE BOX MODIFICATION

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChaseRallix

Reaction score
If there was ever a way to hydrolock your car quickly, this would be it

Seabronc

Reaction score
Ditto!!!!  I'd like to see the Dyno test to prove the claim.  Unless the engine is modified internally, the current intake designe can supply all the COLD AIR your engine is capable of sucking down plus some.  The system as designed is a COLD AIR intake.  It has some other parts that are there for cold weather start and drivability which adds heat to the intake air when necessary to prevent internal iceing caused by the venturi effect.

Save your money and put it some place else in the truck.

:)>-

Lotus

Reaction score
This will not increes HP im afraid. I have mounted K&N filter on my Bronco, but only for the sound it makes. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Myth busted!!!!

BTW:

(Norway say's hello!!! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> )

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Lotus,

I could not get any sound.

What are the results?

Project M.P.G FOUR WHEELER Magazine

miesk5 Note, Results are Comparable to Tests in other Ford Engines

here is an "Air Cleaner" Comparison Test in Project MPG using a 460 gas powered 1988 Ford F-350 4-Door, Crew-Cab 4x4 dually, converted over with a Bronco back half by Centurion in Michigan

Detailed results can be found in the numerous charts, tables and graphs found in the 1999 July through October issues of Four Wheeler Magazine

img63.gif

http://performanceunlimited.com/projectmpg/results.html

Here are the Intake Temperature Comparison Tests, Stock vs. K&N®in factory air box w/insulated air tubes

http://performanceunlimited.com/projectmpg/aircleaner.html

Excerpts;
"Cheap Tricks
Since you already know that cool air is happy air, then what about all that under hood engine heat? The cooler you can make that engine compartment, the cooler the air intake system will be, and the more aircharge can be had. Wrapping the exhaust manifolds with insulation or having them ceramic coated will help, as will venting the hood with a scoop will also help.

Another neat and cheap trick is to insulate the air intake tubes with a heat reflectant tape in order to keep the incoming air as cool as possible. Even though the metallic intake manifold will undoubtedly transfer heat throughout the intake system, the rushing air of the incoming intake charge will inherently cool the insulated components from within.

DEI makes a product called "cool Tape", which is an adhesive backed 1.5 inch wide tape with a metallic silvery heat resistant exterior. This tape is available in 15 foot lengths and sticks to almost anything. Dyno reports have confirmed that at least one percent of the overall horsepower is gained for every 10 degree decrease in temperature, and even more if the coolant temperature is stabilized under load. We could feel the difference, even though ever so slight. However, we could really see the difference in the fuel mileage increase. Not too bad for just a couple of rolls of tape. .."

Ken did similar insulation;

Air Tube & Box Insulation pics in a 94 5.0; Ken used Reflectix Insulation, avail @ Lowes. etc. ST16025 - 16" x 25 feet. miesk5 Note; Ken installed the K&N® & removed da cold air intake tube that runs to the top of the radiator; but he could have installed the intake tube section later.
Source: by Ken B (Kenny's 94) at http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/superford/registry/9319/29460

Seabronc

Reaction score
OK, looks like the results are in and one configuration gets a pitiful .6 MPG improvement if driven the same way the testers controlled the engine and at best 34,000 miles later you finally pay off the investment.  Don't forget that those results were gained under some well controlled conditions and individual results will vary, most likely on the lesser side.  That was a project to see how much you could actually squeeze out of a Bronco engine with no expense barred.  Also, consider the RPM required to develop the measly extra HP which means that at normal engine operating RPMs you get next to nothing.

I admit I like the sucking air sound you get with the cone but definitely not worth the the investment.   So, as far as I'm concerned, I'd put my money into something else. 

:)>-

Lotus

Reaction score
Well i got mutch more deeper sound from my 3" exhaust after the k&n installation. But thats only when i go flat out.

Maybe with oem exhaust there is no differens?

:) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar