running extremely rich...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

19Bronco93

Reaction score
i've done just about everything to adjust the richness. i have adjusted my timing, according to the timing light, i needed to advance it 12 degrees. big shocker to me. brand new o2 sensor. map sensor is functioning normally, new air filter. egr is in perfect condition. is it just naturally running rich or is there more i can attempt to blow money on to make it run leaner???

Ogeechee 4x4

Reaction score
Have you scanned for codes? And you did disconnect the spout connector when you set the timing, right?

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
How do you know it is running rich?

Definitely pull DTCs all you need is a 4 inch piece of wire and the ability to count to ten.

Howto Pull Codes 1983-1995 Broncos, Mustang, F series Trucks, Econolines, 302, 351 and more

Before you pull codes you should check your coolent level, and check for vacuum leaks.

Running rich could be caused by faulty Engine Coolent Temperature sender ECT, vacuum leaks, faulty MAP, poor electrical connection of vacuum to MAP, exhaust leak before O2 sensor, contamination of O2 sensor (you didn't use antiseize on it did you?) weak spark at the plugs (when was the last tuneup)

faulty fuel pressure regulator... overpressure, clogged return line for fuel. Check fuel pressure at the rail with a fuel pressure guage.

I'm sure that I missed other causes, this was off of the top of my head.

OP
OP
19Bronco93

19Bronco93

Reaction score
well now for a minute i'm broncoless, she got soo rich she started flooding herself out and all you can smell is straight gas coming out of the pipes. i would give her more gas and she would just bog down worse, pop alot, and pick up finally

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Do da self test as our pal Joe advised. Save some $ by diy..post codes found here

EZiest check is the air filter...is it clean? Is it a K&N type that uses oil type mixture?

A guess ( and would show up in the self test KOER is da Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor (passenger side of intake manifold, front, behind distributor

A pic by JP

"This measures the temperature of engine, and has a great impact on fuel ratio. This makes simple work of enriching the mixture on start up, overheating, and full throttle fun. It also allows us to lean out the mixture at certain times, to shorten the time it takes to warm up the engine helping us get great fuel economy. The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor is a thermal transistor, which means it allows less electricity to pass through the sensor the warmer it gets. The ECT receives the

Shadow_D

Reaction score
DO THE SELF TEST!

This sounds an awful lot like what mine did till I replaced the Fuel Pressure Regulator...

OP
OP
19Bronco93

19Bronco93

Reaction score
thanks for all the help...

i got a little frustrated with her so i let her sit bout three weeks (in timeout haha) picked er up from my barn yesterday ready to work on her, and she ran fine, so i guess i'll just run her. the problems are sporratic so i'll ya'lls help in mind, thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar