What is this around my damper?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott8

Reaction score
PXL_20230717_055628632.jpg
This is the first truck I've owned and trying to learn the suspension. It's old, has lots of repairs and modifications, so I'm assuming this whole setup is aftermarket. I've never seen a spring wrapped around the damper like this, unless it was an adjustable coilover. It obviously has spacers to lift the spring. The ride height is perfect, but the reason I ask is because the suspension is extremely rigid. Feels like it's completely seized up (maybe it is). Or maybe the last owner just bought a damper for a heavier truck. I was thinking maybe just take off the spring wrapped around the damper first to soften things up a bit. But obviously, that would be impossible if it's a coilover.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
You are correct, that is like a load leveler shock. The spring is to add more weight capacity.

take it off there. Way too much for the front end. Put a stock shock on and it will feel like a new truck.

OP
OP
Scott8

Scott8

Reaction score
You are correct, that is like a load leveler shock. The spring is to add more weight capacity.

take it off there. Way too much for the front end. Put a stock shock on and it will feel like a new truck.
Thanks for the info. Follow-on question. I thought load leveler shocks were only for rear shocks (to adjust for towing or heavy loads in truck beds). What motivation might a previous own have had to install a load leveler shock on the front? Or am I wrong and people frequently install load leveler shocks on the front?

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Sometimes to achieve your end results you have to think outside the box.

Maybe the spring rate on the coils was not high enough, maybe they were worn out. At one point maybe he had extra weight, like a big fancy custom bumper.

My son has a 94. We had put leveling springs up front. Was supposed to lift the front 1.5-2". They did not lift it at all. Ended up buying some 4" lift springs and the end result was the 2" we were looking for.

Lots of different reasons he may have added those, we will probably never know.

OP
OP
Scott8

Scott8

Reaction score
Thank you. I plan on replacing them. Just didn't want to replace them with something more stock-ish only to learn of an underlying issue later (the original reason to stiffen the front so much). Since I live overseas, it takes forever to get parts. In the past, every repair/modification I've made to my mustangs has been an iterative process of trial an error with multiple runs to the parts stores. I don't have the option here; so trying to be more precise on the front end.

johnnyreb

Reaction score

Looks like someone was doing some traveling fast over some really rough road--like maybe baja racing. They are good for carrying extra weight in the back.

goodO1boydws

Reaction score
Do you see any extra brackets or holes (or wiring) up front? Like for a winch or plow that isn't there now?

From the looks of the shocks and main suspension springs they were probably put in at the same time-for a specific reason. I notice what looks like a sizeable spacer (or 2, stacked) under the main suspension spring.

What does the rear suspension look like, are all 4 tires the same and is the body height even front to back?

OP
OP
Scott8

Scott8

Reaction score
Do you see any extra brackets or holes (or wiring) up front? Like for a winch or plow that isn't there now?

From the looks of the shocks and main suspension springs they were probably put in at the same time-for a specific reason. I notice what looks like a sizeable spacer (or 2, stacked) under the main suspension spring.

What does the rear suspension look like, are all 4 tires the same and is the body height even front to back?
There is a 1.75" spacer under the body evenly all around. Under the front springs, there is a 2" under the passenger front spring and a 1.75" under the driver spring (the car is level, but the passenger spring is compressed a bit more - my guess is from old age).

The four tires are the same, and there is a 2" block under the leaf springs in the back. The back is about 1.5" higher than the front, which I've read is normal from the factory. Shocks in the rear seem normal, but are also painted orange, so I can't see a brand or model number. No evidence of a wench up front.

OP
OP
Scott8

Scott8

Reaction score
When I purchase the shocks, I'm thinking about buying new springs too that are just 2" longer: to keep this same ride height, but to provide a bit more travel (maybe - if the rest of the suspension allows for it) and more distance for a progressive spring rate to give a more comfortable feel.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
View attachment 31560
This is the first truck I've owned and trying to learn the suspension. It's old, has lots of repairs and modifications, so I'm assuming this whole setup is aftermarket. I've never seen a spring wrapped around the damper like this, unless it was an adjustable coilover. It obviously has spacers to lift the spring. The ride height is perfect, but the reason I ask is because the suspension is extremely rigid. Feels like it's completely seized up (maybe it is). Or maybe the last owner just bought a damper for a heavier truck. I was thinking maybe just take off the spring wrapped around the damper first to soften things up a bit. But obviously, that would be impossible if it's a coilover.

What is holding the ORANGE COIL SPRING IN PLACE? It looks like nothing is.. Their shouldn be plate on the bottom and a place in the top for it to be doing the same. You better check it out.

OP
OP
Scott8

Scott8

Reaction score
What is holding the ORANGE COIL SPRING IN PLACE? It looks like nothing is.. Their shouldn be plate on the bottom and a place in the top for it to be doing the same. You better check it out.
The stock plate at the bottom and hook at the top are there; they just don't show up in the picture. Thanks.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Motech,he lives overseas and it probably means something different then the word SHOCK--WHICH ---DAMPER could mean the word shock.

goffprof

Reaction score
View attachment 31560

It’s a coil-over shock absorber which is a shock equipped with a coil spring. I have dual front shocks on my ‘96 EB Bronco and both are coil-over shocks. I ordered them and heavier progressive front springs to increase the Bronco’s front suspension capacity to accommodate my railroad wheel kit.

OP
OP
Scott8

Scott8

Reaction score
It’s a coil-over shock absorber which is a shock equipped with a coil spring. I have dual front shocks on my ‘96 EB Bronco and both are coil-over shocks. I ordered them and heavier progressive front springs to increase the Bronco’s front suspension capacity to accommodate my railroad wheel kit.
Thank you. I ordered Bilstein's 5125's to replace them because the spring rate is very high or they are completely seized up.

OP
OP
Scott8

Scott8

Reaction score
Motech,he lives overseas and it probably means something different then the word SHOCK--WHICH ---DAMPER could mean the word shock.
Nope. I live overseas because I'm active duty military. I'm 100% American and speak American. Google the words "damper car" and you'll see that plenty of people use that word interchangably with shock.

OP
OP
Scott8

Scott8

Reaction score
There is nothing here that needs my comment, but...

The title... It makes me giggle.
Sorry. I don't see the humor. Look it up. It's the right word, as "damper" includes both shocks and struts, while "shocks" doesn't include other types of dampers.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane