MSD ignition box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redneck86

First On Race Day
Reaction score
I was thinkin about addin a MSD ignition box to my truck. MSD says there suppose to improve power, drivability, idle quality and warm up the engine faster. I was wonderin which one would be best for me, i was leanin towards the MSD 5 box. Im gonna run the stock Duraspark distributor, Edelbrock 750 Performer carb, ACCEL plugs and wires, and MSD cap/rotor and MSD Blaster 2 coil and possibly a Edelbrock Performer-Plus cam/lifter set. So i was thinkin the MSD 5 box would be a good choice, but i was wondering if there would be a better one for me. And some you know my plans are to sell the truck, but i still have to hang on to it for about another 6-8 months...so ill get *my* use out of anything i put on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

swampthing

Reaction score
i would suggest MSD 6 or MSD 6al (with rev limiter) and rather then running the blaster coil run the e style coil they put our more voltage then the blaster does

madmax

Reaction score
6 al box works great for me, it does burn up regular plugs fast, found autolite raceing plugs hold up okay

OP
OP
Redneck86

Redneck86

First On Race Day
Reaction score
I looked at the MSD 6A box, it cost alot more then the MSD 5 box, i was wondering if the MSD 5 box would work pretty much the same for me, or if yall really know if the 6A is that much better. Also when you hook one up does it replace the stock ingition box, or work off of it?

2NDTOUR89

Reaction score
It is an add on to your existing spark box. Yours should be EFI correct? If so, it uses the TFI style coil and there is a harness that connects it directly into the existing harness. Real simple install. I havent looked at the 5 box so I have no input on it, sorry.

OP
OP
Redneck86

Redneck86

First On Race Day
Reaction score
Mine has the 351W which was still carburated for 86. And the MSD 5 box is alot like the 6A box, i think that the 6A is just a newer version. I have seen that the 6A box is a little better but if i can run the 5 box and still have it do pretty much the same...

Heres some links to Summit on the MSD boxes

Summit Racing-MSD 6A CD box

Summit Racing-MSD 5 box

BLADE262US

Reaction score
I have them on all my trucks except the diesel for obvious reasons . They do work very well I use the timing computer as well whick alows you to lock out the rotor advance weights and adjust the timing curve electronically . I would get a 6 box with that you can use anything you want with it . The offroad boxes are nice but what they dont tell you there is that they cannot be repaird because they are encased in epoxy for vibration resistance . I did have one go bad a long time ago and that was the case it was just out of warranty so I thought I was screwed when I found out that they werent repairable but the tech put me through to someone there and they actually sent me a new offroad box so that was cool but Id never spend the money on one again only the 6 or the 6T . You also need to pay attention to the plug wires after install the spark is very strong and if it gets you trust me you will never forget what it feels like . My 2 cents :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
Redneck86

Redneck86

First On Race Day
Reaction score
So if i run the MSD 6A box i dont need my distrubutor vacuum advance any more?

BLADE262US

Reaction score
No its a seperate unit that lets you lock out the rotor works with the MSD box . The adjustable one is part number 8981 . You can look it up at summit or jegs . Works very well been running one for yrs . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
Redneck86

Redneck86

First On Race Day
Reaction score
Thats a little steep on price, i wasnt lookin the drop that much in my ignition. Have you ever run or heard anything about the MSD 5 box? Id like to run that one if ill get the same from it with what i plan to run. Everyting i plan to run is up listed in the top post, except the Edelbrock Performer intake i forgot to list.

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Its up to you what you buy but if it were me I would not buy the 5 box . The 6A is the base for all of the add ons you can add a soft touch rev control , timing computer whatever you want and the price isnt much more than a 5 . Heres a link to the comparison chart just click on the 5 then the 6 its your choice :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

http://www.msdignition.com/1ignitions.htm

OP
OP
Redneck86

Redneck86

First On Race Day
Reaction score
Thanks man that what i needed, looks like the 6A box. It says thats the one for my application, and is gonna do what i want.

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Yeah youll be happy with that and if the cost is whats holding you back check ebay . On the home page type in MSD in the search theres always pages of MSD stuff I once bought 2 MSD 6T boxes which have the pigtail for the soft touch rev control built right in and a soft touch for $200 . Ebay is always good for a deal just keep looking . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?f...&category0=

OP
OP
Redneck86

Redneck86

First On Race Day
Reaction score
Nah the price didn bother me, its only an $80 differance. I was just thinkin it would have been nice to save that 80 if i could and buy somethin else with it. But this 6A box is gonna do exactly what im lookin for it to do.

2NDTOUR89

Reaction score
If you are interested, I can get you one of these for $10.00 cheaper than Summit through my work. $175.00.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar