Bronco running rich

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rob Yockey

Reaction score
I have a problem and I am getting very frustaited. My 88 Bronco (351W engine) is running very rich. It runs great but, I am getting around 6-8 MPG on the highway. I live on a military base and I drive about 1/2 mile to work. Top speed on the base is 25MPH. I have been getting 2-4 MPG on base. I have given my bronco a full tune up, new EGR valve, and I have ran out of ideas. The only code I have got was for the EGR valve and an exaust imbalance at the O2 senser. Anyone have any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You,

Rob

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Rob,

Replace that O2 sensor right off the bat. You should be getting a *minimum* of 10-12mpg and really something closer to 15. The engine relys on a number of sensors to operate. It uses the O2 sensors to "sniff" the exhaust and see what the ratio of gasses is and adjusts how much fuel is injected into the engine as a result. If the O2 sensor is bad the computer can/will inject a *whole* lot more fuel into the engine because it just doesn't know any better. If you're getting ridiculous mileage AND codes for a bad O2 sensor then that's THE place to start. Replace the sensoe & let us know what the result is.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Hey Rob,

Dave is absolutely right. The only thing that I would add right now is to take a look at your air cleaner.

When I changed mine, it looked like it had all 120,000 miles on it. :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

For me a tuneup, and replacement of a faulty MAP sensor brought me from 7 MPG to 12.

joe

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Hey Rob,Dave is absolutely right. The only thing that I would add right now is to take a look at your air cleaner.

When I changed mine, it looked like it had all 120,000 miles on it. :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

For me a tuneup, and replacement of a faulty MAP sensor brought me from 7 MPG to 12.

joe
That made me remember this, there's a Ford TSB about contaminated Mass Air sensors causing an excessive-rich condition.:

FORD:

1990-97 THUNDERBIRD

1990-99 MUSTANG, TAURUS SHO

1991-99 CROWN VICTORIA, ******, TAURUS

1992-94 TEMPO

1993-97 PROBE

1995-99 CONTOUR

LINCOLN-MERCURY:

1990-97 COUGAR

1991-99 CONTINENTAL, GRAND MARQUIS, SABLE, TOWN CAR, TRACER

1992-94 TOPAZ

1993-98 MARK VIII

1995-99 MYSTIQUE

LIGHT TRUCK:

1990 BRONCO II

1990-97 AEROSTAR

1990-99 RANGER

1991-99 EXPLORER

1994-96 BRONCO

1994-97 F SUPER DUTY, F-250 HD

1994-99 ECONOLINE, F-150, F-250 LD, F-350

1995-99 WINDSTAR

1997-99 EXPEDITION, MOUNTAINEER

1998-99 NAVIGATOR

1999 F-250 HD, SUPER DUTY F SERIES

ISSUE:

This TSB article is a diagnostic procedure to address vehicles that exhibit lean driveability symptoms and may or may not have any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) stored in memory.

ACTION:

Follow the diagnostic procedures described in the following Service Tip. The revised diagnostic procedure is a more accurate means of diagnosing the symptoms.

SERVICE TIP

MASS AIR FLOW (MAF) DISCUSSION

MAF sensors can get contaminated from a variety of sources: dirt, oil, silicon, spider webs, potting compound from the sensor itself, etc. When a MAF sensor gets contaminated, it skews the transfer function such that the sensor over-estimates air flow at idle (causes the fuel system to go rich) and under-estimates air flow at high air flows (causes fuel system to go lean). This means Long Term Fuel Trims will learn lean (negative) corrections at idle and learn rich (positive) corrections at higher air flows.

If vehicle is driven at Wide Open Throttle (WOT) or high loads, the fuel system normally goes open loop rich to provide maximum power. If the MAF sensor is contaminated, the fuel system will actually be lean because of under-estimated air flow. During open loop fuel operation, the vehicle applies Long Term Fuel Trim corrections that have been learned during closed loop operation. These corrections are often lean corrections learned at lower air flows. This combination of under-estimated air flow and lean fuel trim corrections can result in spark knock/detonation and lack of power concerns at WOT and high loads.

One of the indicators for diagnosing this condition is barometric pressure. Barometric pressure (BARO) is inferred by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) software at part throttle and WOT (there is no actual BARO sensor on MAF-equipped vehicles, except for the 3.8L Supercharged engine). At high air flows, a contaminated MAF sensor will under-estimate air flow coming into the engine, hence the PCM infers that the vehicle is operating at a higher altitude. The BARO reading is stored in Keep Alive Memory (KAM) after it is updated. Other indicators are Long Term Fuel Trim and MAF voltage at idle.

NOTE: THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURE MAY ALSO BE USED TO DIAGNOSE VEHICLES THAT DO NOT HAVE FUEL SYSTEM/HO2S SENSOR DTCs.

Symptoms

* Lack of Power

* Spark Knock/Detonation

* Buck/****

* Hesitation/Surge on Acceleration

* Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Illuminated - DTCs P0171, P0172, P0174, P0175 may be stored in memory

OBDII DTCs

* P0171, P0174 (Fuel system lean, Bank 1 or 2)

* P0172, P0175 (Fuel system rich, Bank 1 or 2)

* P1130, P1131, P1132, (HO2S11 lack of switching, Bank 1)

* P1150, P1151, P1152, (HO2S21 lack of switching, Bank 2)

OBDI DTCs

* 181, 189 (Fuel system lean, Bank 1 or 2)

* 179, 188 (Fuel system rich, Bank 1 or 2)

* 171, 172, 173 (HO2S11 lack of switching, Bank 1)

* 175, 176, 177 (HO2S21 lack of switching, Bank 2)

* 184, 185 (MAF higher/lower than expected)

* 186, 187 (Injector pulse width higher/lower than expected)

NOTE: DO NOT DISCONNECT THE BATTERY. IT WILL ERASE KEEP ALIVE MEMORY AND RESET LONG TERM FUEL TRIM AND BARO TO THEIR STARTING/BASE VALUES. THE BARO PARAMETER IDENTIFICATION DISPLAY (PID) IS USED FOR THIS DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE. ALL OBDII APPLICATIONS HAVE THIS PID AVAILABLE. THERE ARE SOME OBDI VEHICLES THAT DO NOT HAVE THE BARO PID, FOR THESE VEHICLES OMIT THE BARO CHECK AND REFER ONLY TO STEPS 2, 3, AND 4 IN THE DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE.

1. Look at the BARO PID. Refer to the Barometric Pressure Reference Chart in this article. At sea level, BARO should read about 159 Hz (29.91 in. Hg). As a reference, Denver, Colorado at 1524 meters (5000 ft.) altitude should be about 144 Hz (24.88 in. Hg.). Normal learned BARO variability is up to

Jersey

Reaction score
I ahve to agree with the O2 sensor. An 88 does not have mass air, But I have seen the O2 in that era fall apart. They usually cause a lean condition in the ECM, thus causing excessive fuel being dumped into the motor for no reason. Couldnt hurt to pop it out and see for sure. If it is totally white, the truck is running too lean. If it is black, its too rich. If the casing has rotted away...(like normal), replace it, and you should be OK

OP
OP
Rob Yockey

Rob Yockey

Reaction score
I changed the O2 sensor and it is still running rich. The air filter is fairly new and is clean. I still have sot and unburnt gas coming out of the tail pipe. Does anyone have any more ideas? Thanks!

Rob

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
I changed the O2 sensor and it is still running rich. The air filter is fairly new and is clean. I still have sot and unburnt gas coming out of the tail pipe. Does anyone have any more ideas? Thanks!Rob
Take her for a few 10 mile trips to reset the computer.

Recheck for codes

look for vacuum leaks

get a manual to tell you how to check individual components of the fuel, and ignition system or you may empty your wallet just changing parts

Additional sensors that contribute to fuel air mixture are MAP, IAC and fuel temperature.

The PCM itself, and bad grounds.

So again... if you are not getting any codes, there are lots of things to check.

One last question for me... is when you gave her a tuneup, did you change the timing? And if so... did you pull the SPOUT connector first? And did you put it back in?

Shadow_D

Reaction score
Just want to be clear before I post something stupid, is it Carbed or FI?

If it is fuel injected (I doubt it) change the fuel pressure regulator.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane