bfg mud terrain or super swamper bogger?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ilystbronco

Reaction score
i have a 95 bronco xlt 5.0 5-speed on long island ny. i am currently saving for a 6" lift (not sure which one yet) and so i was trying to figure out which tires to save up for. were i am ther is snow in the winter we have a descent amount of sand and mudd and it is swampy in some areas. also the truck will be an everyday driver. what tire would be best for these conditions and last the longest? i was looking at the bfg mud terrain size 35-12.50 or the super swamper tsl boggers size 35-14.50 WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK I SHOULD DO?

MultimedMA13624927_0001.jpg

thornbirdguy

Reaction score
well, the bfg's will probably last longer and will definitely drive/ride better and be a lot quieter. everybody will have a different opinion on which tire will be best for what terrain. if you don't mind the roar and don't mind the cost, the boggers will definitely give you better traction/bite in the snow and mud, and the extra width will give you better flotation in the sand. the bfg's are gonna sound like a 18 wheeler's tires. have you thought about maybe the 35X14.50R15 S. Swamper SSR. great in all the conditions you listed with a smooth ride and not as loud as the bogger? just a thought.

Billings Lee

Billings Lee
Reaction score
ssss tuffy... i would split em and go with a radial m/t but man up alittle and get somn more intense than the bfg's (perhaps interco's or mickey tompson's) and dont get me wrong the bfg's arent a bad tire. personally if it was between those two, i would go boggers.

nice rig by the way!

Yardape

Reaction score
For the sand and snow with minor mud I would recommend Baja Claws. The BFG Mudd Terrains and the Boggers both **** in the winter, The Mud Terrains are extremely capable offroad, but the Boggers are king. You will not get much Mileage out of the Boggers but the cool factor to me is worth it. I love boggers and they will be my next tire. I have gone some pretty crazy places with my Mud Terrains and they are only 33's. I dont think there is a tire out there that will noticeably out perform them, given the same size etc. The only places I have gotten stuck werent the tires fault, lack of tire size and lockers are to blame for that

stusainte

Reaction score
Definetly do your home work If your 95 will be an everyday driver you might not want to go to exstreme (agresive) I had the BFG mud terrains on my (FORGIVE ME GUYS) S10 Jimmy They where great for slinging mud but not very good in the snow unless it very deep being from Western Ma. The make up of the Mud Terrain tire is a hard rubber they would lock up and slid in the snow or slippery conditions, but thats my opinion Check out the Goodyear MT/R's Which was made for the Jeep Wrangler and an all purpose tire but pretty exspensive , The Bogger is a really cool looking tire Too Good Luck

rubberdust

Reaction score
Size for size the BFG MT & the SS TSL will pull with virtually identical force in a variety of muddy conditions. Neither is worth a hoot in slick snow covered roads, it's not until you are in deep snow that either of them can show any advantage over an All Terrain type tire. On the road the BFG is quieter & will last longer, but there you have to look at the cost difference.

Given the difference in width the 35X14.50 will offer better flotation than the 35X12.50

BFG had a new mud terrain they were letting people try at Moab a few weeks ago looks like the Krawler but is supposed to be less expensive.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
I say neither one. Both will wear quickly if you drive on the tarmack/highway. Look for an all-terrain tire, something under $200/tire. The BFG Trail T/A's and KO's are cheap, and have a similar tread to the AT's. DO NOT buy Goodyear Wrangler AT's!!! The sidewall is paper thin, and you will have a flat the instant you hit a gravel road. No kidding,,, JSM84

79highrider

Reaction score
ok well what do you think about the pro comp x-treme mud terrains in 35x12.50?
I heard the pro comps are pretty bad the lugs aren't that deep and they don't perform as well or last as long as bfgs just from what I heard, from personal experiance and reading magazines like petersons 4x4 **** Cepek Mud Countrys are awesome. On road they are quiet really quiet same or less noise than my old bfg at's and in mud, snow, sand, dirt, water, rock are freakin great. The lugs on them are deeper than my brother 39.5 iroks (I measured) And look really awesome.

when I went to buy mine I was in the same predicament as you and was between bfg mt's, interco truxxus mt's, mickey tompsons, or these and the price an all was about the same so I went with these and I am so glad. But like someone said before it is all on personal preference too, I didn't want the same tire as 50% of lifted trucks out there(BFG mt's) I wanted my truck to be unique in my area and I bought these tires right when they came out, first set OK4wd ever sold

Oh and I would definitely stay away from boggers if it is an everyday driver, the milage on them and the noise is just terrible, I would run boggers on a weekend mudder

Cocobum

Reaction score
noise on the bogger is extremely bad, road noise is always bad in a bronco but that just multiplys the problem (could hear my friends truck from 1/2 a mile away and tell that it was his). Great off road though, friend and I could go anywhere we wanted in two wheel drive

OP
OP
I

ilystbronco

Reaction score
yea my buddy had a 91 bronco with 35" super swamper boggers and they were great offroad he never got stuck,a flat,or any problems with them , but it sounded like a airplane going down the road. so i guess what u guys are telling me is to get a mud terrain tire, right?

thornbirdguy

Reaction score
yea my buddy had a 91 bronco with 35" super swamper boggers and they were great offroad he never got stuck,a flat,or any problems with them , but it sounded like a airplane going down the road. so i guess what u guys are telling me is to get a mud terrain tire, right?
get some thornbirds.

79highrider

Reaction score
get some thornbirds.
lol I think we have gone through this in one of the other forums thornbirds are just like a really deep all terrain, id advise agaisnt them and go with a mud terrain of your preference, they are all in the same ball park in prices, mine were 218 each for 35" radials bfg is probaly something around there for 35"s

Redneckn

Reaction score
I've considered putting Thornbirds on the front and TSL's on the back. But that's just something to toss around in my head. I won't need tires for a while.

currently I run Maxxis Buckshots. 35-12.50/15. They perform about as expected but I don't like them on the highway. They get a little squirmy around 60-70mph.

I had really really good luck with Coopers on another truck and may go with those on the Bronco when the time gets here.

Most of what I do is mild-medium mud and highway.

1fast

Reaction score
id say boggers

the thornbird were ina magazine recently as one of the worst inventions ever..lol

bigtrux

Reaction score
Boggers are great for off road but sound and ride rough on highway and don't last long on highway.. fer and everyday driver yer best to go with an all terrain tire. or the bfg m/t .. just my opinion....

79highrider

Reaction score
Here take a look at the tires on my truck that I have been talking about and absolutely love.

newbrpic2.jpgDickcepeks.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
Here take a look at the tires on my truck that I have been talking about and absolutely love.
View attachment 4553View attachment 4554

I have swamper tsl radials on my trail bronc, and they are loud and wear fast. I live in the snow and mud and dirt and daily has nitto all terains, work well on the chevy 2500 hd desiel, the wife has bfgs at,s on the full size blazer and they have wore really well the last 4 years and make no noise and follow me with no probs on the trails.. My brother has the bfg mudders they wareout fast and make medium noise on a full size 2002 4 wheel chevy...

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
didn'thappen