Lets talk tires and wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zeus78

Reaction score
Okay, so I have 35x15.5X15" TSL boggers on my 78 right now. The tires actually expired by date many years ago, but they are so well built, I have no problem using them.

However, I've decided to go with 37" tires and bigger rims. I'll keep the 35" boggers and use them when I know I'll be in a lot of deep mud, they're amazing tires, but not so good in sand dunes or slick rocks.

So I want to go with a really good off road only tire that can do most of what the boggers can do and still be used in sand and slick rocks.

I've snapped a lot of shafts because those boggers grip so well. If you're at full throttle trying to get out of the mud and one of those lugs caches anything, you have a chance to save it if it’s the drivers wheel that catches, but no shot if it’s the right one. So I just put 4340 chromoly shafts in the front. But I am kinda happy to put a less aggressive tire up front so I don't blow the gears out.

On the rims, so right now I'm running 2" wheel spacers, because the boggers were hitting the radius arms. What back spacing should I be looking for on a 15" tire? Seems like the rims are going to be deep dish for sure, but maybe I'll step the tire width down to 13".

I'm having the trans rebuilt next week and I'm putting a spool in the rear to match the lock-rite I have up front. With 4.11 gears and a built 460, this thing should do well.

Any suggestions on tires and rims will be appreciated.

chrlsful

Reaction score
U talk 'back spacing', I think, dont forget 'off set' (hub face to rim) forward (I guess it's called) and back (from the outter rim)... Mud is the most stress (of rocks, sand, etc). So ur nxt tire can B just about anything set for the other conditions.
Get something that can air down to the single didgets. Our mud tires have kevlar in side wall and dont bulge out w/low pressure. For every APPLICATION there's one made. 'Paddles" for sand, etc. I got Winter, AT, and mud. That's enuff for me (70% off rd miles, 30% on. To change to opposite soon). HTH

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Okay, so I have 35x15.5X15" TSL boggers on my 78 right now. The tires actually expired by date many years ago, but they are so well built, I have no problem using them.

However, I've decided to go with 37" tires and bigger rims. I'll keep the 35" boggers and use them when I know I'll be in a lot of deep mud, they're amazing tires, but not so good in sand dunes or slick rocks.

So I want to go with a really good off road only tire that can do most of what the boggers can do and still be used in sand and slick rocks.

I've snapped a lot of shafts because those boggers grip so well. If you're at full throttle trying to get out of the mud and one of those lugs caches anything, you have a chance to save it if it’s the drivers wheel that catches, but no shot if it’s the right one. So I just put 4340 chromoly shafts in the front. But I am kinda happy to put a less aggressive tire up front so I don't blow the gears out.

On the rims, so right now I'm running 2" wheel spacers, because the boggers were hitting the radius arms. What back spacing should I be looking for on a 15" tire? Seems like the rims are going to be deep dish for sure, but maybe I'll step the tire width down to 13".

I'm having the trans rebuilt next week and I'm putting a spool in the rear to match the lock-rite I have up front. With 4.11 gears and a built 460, this thing should do well.

Any suggestions on tires and rims will be appreciated.
With the bigger tires mgear changing and all. How about he wheel studs? Shouldn,t the size (diameter) be increaced also?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane