wiring problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buckinbronc85

Reaction score
just had a 84 351 engine put in to replace the 85 300 and now when i use the key to row down the back window the radio comes on and window doesnt come down. any ideas

Seabronc

Reaction score
Sounds like the wiring ***** up of the century, does water come out of the cigarette lighter? :lol:

Seriously, the two have nothing to do with each other. Was anything done under the dash?

:)>-

OP
OP
B

buckinbronc85

Reaction score
no there no new wiring under dash that i know of. i had a mechanic from small town an kick my ass for letting him do it. but weird is if use the switch inside the window goes down tell me that some mess up wiring.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

Tailgate Window Circuit "... is a common (Ford) polarity-reversing circuit with 2 switches. Each switch has its own power feed; the dash switch through the ignition switch (key-on only) and the tailgate key switch from the battery (always hot). The dash switch normally holds both motor wires to ground, and the key switch normally holds the motor wires to the dash switch wires. When either is operated, it sends one of the wires hot, powering the motor (assuming the latch switch is closed). When operated the other way, the polarity is reversed, reversing the motor's direction. Neither switch is a "master" because neither will work if the other is in the opposite position..."

Source: by Steve83

So, the TG KEY switch is powered by same fuse as the PDL & P Mirrors (if installed as option) - BLK/WHT (Black/White wire)

the Driver's switch is powered by same fuse as the PW - Lt Blu/BLK (light blue/black)

I was looking at an 84 Diagram (but it is incomplete, so I can't trace what a bad ground wire would do to the radio/etc.) for a pal and noticed that the TG window motor shares same CB/fuses as the Radio and PW/DL & Power Mirrors, in so many words

See the Ground terminal in this TG Harness pic by our MAIN SPONSOR, Jeff's Bronco Graveyard?

http://broncograveyard.com/images/catalog/zoom/7886TGATEWIRINGHARNESS.JPG 1983-86 Ford Bronco Let's figure this is ok for now.

Now I need to see a complete ckt with da radio for your year and see where it's ground is.

But for now, our good buddy, Seabronc has posted-up some info;

Locations in an 86 (see #5); G701 Behind IP near RH side of radio; G801 On LH inner fender behind headlights; G802 On RH inner fender behind headlights; G903 At LH side of rear crossmember; G909 at lower LH cowl access hole; G1003 On LH side of frame behind front crossmember; G1006 Rear LH side of frame at rear crossmember; G1303 at LH radiator support Source: by Seabronc

&

Location, Tailgate Window In-Dash Switch in an 86; 701 "...Behind Instrument Panel near RH side of Radio..."

Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50)

So, let's make it ez ck first without going thru a Hayne's or Chilton etc. check that radio ground

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

Tailgate Window Circuit "... is a common (Ford) polarity-reversing circuit with 2 switches. Each switch has its own power feed; the dash switch through the ignition switch (key-on only) and the tailgate key switch from the battery (always hot). The dash switch normally holds both motor wires to ground, and the key switch normally holds the motor wires to the dash switch wires. When either is operated, it sends one of the wires hot, powering the motor (assuming the latch switch is closed). When operated the other way, the polarity is reversed, reversing the motor's direction. Neither switch is a "master" because neither will work if the other is in the opposite position..."

Source: by Steve83

So, the TG KEY switch is powered by same fuse as the PDL & P Mirrors (if installed as option) - BLK/WHT (Black/White wire)

the Driver's switch is powered by same fuse as the PW - Lt Blu/BLK (light blue/black)

I was looking at an 84 Diagram (but it is incomplete, so I can't trace what a bad ground wire would do to the radio/etc.) for a pal and noticed that the TG window motor shares same CB/fuses as the Radio and PW/DL & Power Mirrors, in so many words

See the Ground terminal in this TG Harness pic by our MAIN SPONSOR, Jeff's Bronco Graveyard?

http://broncograveyard.com/images/catalog/zoom/7886TGATEWIRINGHARNESS.JPG 1983-86 Ford Bronco Let's figure this is ok for now.

Now I need to see a complete ckt with da radio for your year and see where it's ground is.

But for now, our good buddy, Seabronc has posted-up some info;

Locations in an 86 (see #5); G701 Behind IP near RH side of radio; G801 On LH inner fender behind headlights; G802 On RH inner fender behind headlights; G903 At LH side of rear crossmember; G909 at lower LH cowl access hole; G1003 On LH side of frame behind front crossmember; G1006 Rear LH side of frame at rear crossmember; G1303 at LH radiator support Source: by Seabronc

&

Location, Tailgate Window In-Dash Switch in an 86; 701 "...Behind Instrument Panel near RH side of Radio..."

Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50)

So, let's make it ez ck first without going thru a Hayne's or Chilton etc. check that radio ground

Seabronc

Reaction score
Well, grounding or bad grounding causes many weird things to happen. A lot of the grounding is tied together under the dash and depends heavily on a ground strap from the back of the intake manifold to the fire wall which is the most direct path to the battery ground via the engine block. You might want to make sure that that strap is hooked up.

Good luck,

:)>-

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23