Wheel Fitment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seabronc

Reaction score
As a matter of fact, from the look of it, the new member from Africa has those wheels on his truck.

Seabronc

Reaction score
There are two terms that often seem to get confused. Wheel backspace which is the distance from the inner rim edge to the mounting surface and Offset which is the distance + or - from the center line of the wheel to the mounting surface. Both are important. If you have too much Backspace your wheels will rub or even bind on the suspension components, (solvable by wheel spacers to a point, spacers could move the wheel out too far and cause excessive wear on the tires and suspension). Ideally your vehicle weight should ride on the center of your tire, by moving the tire out with spacers you move the line the weight is centered on. The wider the wheel rims are, the more likely that you will have to use spacers unless the wheel is designed to change the Offset to move the inner rim away from the suspension.

Ford stock wheels are close to 0 offset. Stock wheels on the Bronco generally have 7 inch rims and the setback is about 3.5 inches and very close to 0 offset. Newer Ford trucks have a much larger backspace and offset but that is compensated for by a suspension design that allows a deeper backspace and keeps the weight on the center of the tire. Here is a web sight to help you understand http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/wh...ette/index.html . The Four Wheeler article is one of the best I have seen on this subject.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
C

caryweaver

Reaction score
Thanks for the info...

One more question...

Do you think the size of that center bore will matter? If it is larger than the hubs...

Seabronc

Reaction score
Thanks for the info...
One more question...

Do you think the size of that center bore will matter? If it is larger than the hubs...
No, I have 3 sets of wheels, all have a center bore larger than the hubs. Now here is the catch, I got caught by this when I got over excited about a set. The Bronco must have "lug centric" wheels. Some wheels are designed to be "hub centric" Hub centric wheels will not go on a Bronco. Ford went from lug centric to hub centric in the late 90's, right off hand I can't remember which year. After the switch and up until about 2004 they used a 5 x 135mm lug pattern hub centric wheel and after that switched to a 6 lug pattern.

An easy way to spot lug centric is by the cone shape of the lugs and bores in the wheel. The hub centric use a nut with an attached washer and the wheel has a flat area the washer seals against.

So the short of it is, if you have a Bronco then the center bore needs be a little larger than the hub diameter to allow the wheel to properly center when the lugs are tightened.

Good luck,

OP
OP
C

caryweaver

Reaction score
No, I have 3 sets of wheels, all have a center bore larger than the hubs. Now here is the catch, I got caught by this when I got over excited about a set. The Bronco must have "lug centric" wheels. Some wheels are designed to be "hub centric" Hub centric wheels will not go on a Bronco. Ford went from lug centric to hub centric in the late 90's, right off hand I can't remember which year. After the switch and up until about 2004 they used a 5 x 135mm lug pattern hub centric wheel and after that switched to a 6 lug pattern.
An easy way to spot lug centric is by the cone shape of the lugs and bores in the wheel. The hub centric use a nut with an attached washer and the wheel has a flat area the washer seals against.

So the short of it is, if you have a Bronco then the center bore needs be a little larger than the hub diameter to allow the wheel to properly center when the lugs are tightened.

Good luck,

But I take the set you are selling will work just fine :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Seabronc

Reaction score
But I take the set you are selling will work just fine :)
Should you decide to buy them, the answer is yes. They were on my Bronco for several years. In fact they are the wheels in my little picture up in the left hand corner.

Bronco_00540003a.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
The89Tiger