what wheel offset????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MATLOCK

Reaction score
I am a newb to the 4x4 world.....just got my first one last week 1995 bronco (see intro thread) and it needs tires REAL bad......i wanted it to have a wider stance than the stock wheels.......what kind of backspacing do i need to go with on the rims? any recomendations would be greatly appreciated! ****i am looking at putting some black steel wheels on if you all have any....i can get them for cheap but would see whats out there!!!

i think an all red truck will look good with black wheels!

IMG_3023.jpg

shift1313

Reaction score
those wheels arent factory( i dont think). your best bet is to go with some black wagon wheels(like $40-50 each). most of the big names carry them(summit, jegs, etc). What size tires do you plan on running? on the rims you have id say a 30x9.50 is the widest you can run without rubbing. if you want to run like a 15x10 you can probably sneak a 32.11.50 in there. as far as what offset or backspacing to go with i dont have a magic number for you. your best bet is to pull one of your rims off and measure from the back mounting surface to the inside lip of your rim and figure out what backspacing you have and the width of your rim. from there you can look at your options and figure out what will work and how it will look compared to your rims.

OP
OP
MATLOCK

MATLOCK

Reaction score
those wheels arent factory( i dont think). your best bet is to go with some black wagon wheels(like $40-50 each). most of the big names carry them(summit, jegs, etc). What size tires do you plan on running? on the rims you have id say a 30x9.50 is the widest you can run without rubbing. if you want to run like a 15x10 you can probably sneak a 32.11.50 in there. as far as what offset or backspacing to go with i dont have a magic number for you. your best bet is to pull one of your rims off and measure from the back mounting surface to the inside lip of your rim and figure out what backspacing you have and the width of your rim. from there you can look at your options and figure out what will work and how it will look compared to your rims.

i am not sure if they are stock or not......but they were on it when I bought it.....they came on the eddie beaur F-150's I know that....they are ford wheels......so wagon wheels...yeah they are cheap!!! but the tires are whats expensive.....i want to go as wide as possible but not to tall do they make a 30x10.50 or 11? I havent looked yet but will be searching in a min. ........ i figured that the wide tire or rim will compinsate for the narrow look of the stock wheels...dont really need a different offset i suppose but a little further out wouldnt hurt the stance....so i will meassure it and see what I can find... Thanks man!!!

shift1313

Reaction score
im not sure about the widths. i know if you get a 30" tire the standard width is 9.5, 31" is 10.5, 32 is 11.50 and 33 is 12.5. if you get into the metrics you can probably get something odd but when you stray away from the standard sizes the price starts going up. stock size 235's you can get for $50(goodyears). which measure about 29". going up to 30" will put you in the $100 per tire range, and it just goes up from there. since you are buying rims you may want to look for a package deal rim/tire combo. When i get a chance i can measure the rims i had on my 89 that ran 32x11.50s with no issues.

bryan thomas

Reaction score
cool....thanks man!
Those are stock wheels. I have the same on my truck. I also have 32x11.50r15's by bfg on there. They look wide/decent enough to me. I would not put a 33 on those wheels because of how wide they belly out at low psi. Reason is you can blow out. ANd that sucks in soft sand on the beach down here. I personally like those wheels. They cost over 200 new. Personally I wouldn't get rid of them as nice as they are. At least sell them to buy the cheaper steel ones if you are still considering it. Check out my truck and see the tire pictures. You will understand what it will look like.

OP
OP
MATLOCK

MATLOCK

Reaction score
Those are stock wheels. I have the same on my truck. I also have 32x11.50r15's by bfg on there. They look wide/decent enough to me. I would not put a 33 on those wheels because of how wide they belly out at low psi. Reason is you can blow out. ANd that sucks in soft sand on the beach down here. I personally like those wheels. They cost over 200 new. Personally I wouldn't get rid of them as nice as they are. At least sell them to buy the cheaper steel ones if you are still considering it. Check out my truck and see the tire pictures. You will understand what it will look like.

your truck looks real good!!! i like the wheels......they need clean real bad....the previous owner never cleaned'm and there is rust embeded into he front wheels... :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I want a 10" wheel for cheap and the black steelies would look killer on the all red truck (makes the stance wider and looks better in my opinion) i wont go any bigger than a 32....as long as i can get the width of tar i want!

Broncobill78

Reaction score

Those actually DO look like stock wheels to me but I *don't* think they're stock for that year. Before commenting on anything else, since it looks like you have a mix-n-match truck & rim combo you should be aware of the lugnut issue. Somewhere around 87' (I'm not sure just WHAT year the change occured in because I don't have all the factory manuals) Ford switched over from the one piece acorn type lugnuts to the two-piece captive-washer type. You *cannot* use two piece lugs on a wheel designed for acorns and you cannot use acorns on a rim designed for captive-washers. The manuals have a whole BUNCH of bold-print warnings about this. Do yourself a favor & ck what you have. Using the incorrect lug/rim combo will (according to Ford) put you at risk for snapping lugs & losing a wheel. The scanned page is from my 87' manual but the same warning is also in the 88' manual.

Now as far as tire width goes. While everyone has their own opinion, personally, I like the 33x12.5's. I use stock rims and the width of the wheel sets it pretty far out without needing any additional offset. I like this arrangement because I can use stock rims. The tires will *sometimes* rub at extreme angles but unless I have the wheel turned to full-lock in either direction I never have a problem but this is something that tends to be individual to each truck depending on the condition of the front end. Most guys running 33's don't have any complaints.

LugNuts_001.jpg

88topless.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
MATLOCK

MATLOCK

Reaction score
well, i got a set of black 15x10 wagon wheels with mudd-stomper 31x12.5's on them for $75!!!!! I love a wide tire.....the front end of my truck is pretty good.....minus the radias arm bushing that looks like a worn out ******..........so i may go with some 33's......i love the rims that are on the truck but the previous owner never cleaned then and there are pits on everywheel and the clear coat is gone......i think black wheels and some wide ass tires will look good on this bronco....!!!!

bryan thomas

Reaction score
well, i got a set of black 15x10 wagon wheels with mudd-stomper 31x12.5's on them for $75!!!!! I love a wide tire.....the front end of my truck is pretty good.....minus the radias arm bushing that looks like a worn out ******..........so i may go with some 33's......i love the rims that are on the truck but the previous owner never cleaned then and there are pits on everywheel and the clear coat is gone......i think black wheels and some wide ass tires will look good on this bronco....!!!!
take some pics and share when you do mods to your truck. I like to see the neat things people do to make their trucks more individualized. so does everyone else!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
The89Tiger