Want to convert to electric radiator fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJCrash

Reaction score
So I want to convert my radiator fan to electric but my kids eat all my money. Looking for a junk-yard solution, has anyone found an electric fan and shroud from another vehical that is a good fit for the stock 79 Bronco radiator? Thanks for looking.

AdamDude04

Reaction score
My bud took his fan off his 90 f250 an put two large electric fans on. His truck kept overheating.

In all honesty, what's wrong with belt driven?

Seabronc

Reaction score
I use the Lincoln Mark VIII fan and have never had a problem with overheating even when driving with surface temperatures at 130 degrees F. The fan only puts a load on the engine when running. In the Winter my fan almost never runs and on those dog days of Summer, it runs when belows about 35 MPH. At temperatures of 80 or below, it only runs when I set still for more than a minute, it varies with temperature, but over all my fan only runs on the average about 5% of the time my engine is runs. Here is a great article in Ford Muscle magazine http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2003/02/electricfan/ http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2006/10/Mark8Fan/

You will need to combine that with a 3G alternator upgrade, also available as a junkyard solution, or go to here and get everything you need for a 3G upgrade http://rjminjectiontech.com/

You can take a look at my spermotors pictures to get an idea how it is done.

Good luck,

:)>-

24 current.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DNBELOWBRONCO

Reaction score
Hey Kevin here. Just an update to this thread. In post #3 the op has 2 links. The first shows using a "Hayden" controller. I don't know too much about their unit but I do know about the "Spal" controller in the second post. DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT use their controller with the Lincoln Mark VIII fan. If you do it will blow the variable speed controller, within the main unit, without a doubt. They are also discontinuing the unit because it isn't even compatible with their fans per the guy {TODD) that I spoke with at Spal. He chuckled & said, "Out of curiosity how long did it run for?" I told him about 20 mins and he laughed and said he was surprised it ran that long. He also stated they don't even offer a fan as good as the Mark VIII. I'd go with http://www.dccontrol.com/introf0.htm or anyone else if you use the Mark fan. I spent $135 and when I called he said they try to inform customers not to use anything but their $175 dollar fan, (B.S. I looked at every pg in the manual) & because I was using the Mark it wasn't covered under warranty. I told them about the Ford-muscle article and he said that controller was 5-6 yrs old and was able to be used with relays etc. This is their "New & Improved" fan (FAN-PWM-V3) and barely works with their less powerful fans. I talked to DCCONTROL yesterday, and he said he heard Spal will be discontinuing the unit too, as soon as the end of the year. Todd told me they were going to keep enough units on the shelf to supply the 18 month warranty period for new customers then basically everyone is S.O.L. I just don't want any of you guys/girls getting screwed like I did. I've been trying to get the Dealer (Kentuckygiftshops), through Ebay, that peddles Spal's SH** to answer my e-mails since Sept?? They at least owe me a replacement unit, but I'd like a refund since the unit is scheduled to be discontinued. Oh course I have to get someone to contact me first....lol. Next step is involving Ebay & commenting on Kentuckygiftshops seller rating!! Maybe that will warrant a call to me.....?? -Kevin-

Seabronc

Reaction score
Hey Kevin here. Just an update to this thread. In post #3 the op has 2 links. The first shows using a "Hayden" controller. I don't know too much about their unit but I do know about the "Spal" controller in the second post. DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT use their controller with the Lincoln Mark VIII fan. If you do it will blow the variable speed controller, within the main unit, without a doubt. They are also discontinuing the unit because it isn't even compatible with their fans per the guy {TODD) that I spoke with at Spal. He chuckled & said, "Out of curiosity how long did it run for?" I told him about 20 mins and he laughed and said he was surprised it ran that long. He also stated they don't even offer a fan as good as the Mark VIII. I'd go with http://www.dccontrol.com/introf0.htm or anyone else if you use the Mark fan. I spent $135 and when I called he said they try to inform customers not to use anything but their $175 dollar fan, (B.S. I looked at every pg in the manual) & because I was using the Mark it wasn't covered under warranty. I told them about the Ford-muscle article and he said that controller was 5-6 yrs old and was able to be used with relays etc. This is their "New & Improved" fan (FAN-PWM-V3) and barely works with their less powerful fans. I talked to DCCONTROL yesterday, and he said he heard Spal will be discontinuing the unit too, as soon as the end of the year. Todd told me they were going to keep enough units on the shelf to supply the 18 month warranty period for new customers then basically everyone is S.O.L. I just don't want any of you guys/girls getting screwed like I did. I've been trying to get the Dealer (Kentuckygiftshops), through Ebay, that peddles Spal's SH** to answer my e-mails since Sept?? They at least owe me a replacement unit, but I'd like a refund since the unit is scheduled to be discontinued. Oh course I have to get someone to contact me first....lol. Next step is involving Ebay & commenting on Kentuckygiftshops seller rating!! Maybe that will warrant a call to me.....?? -Kevin-
Don't know about th Spal controller, I used the Hayden combined with a Heavy duty wheel chair relay set up like the attached diagram. The Lincoln mark VIII fan has too high of a start and run current for the controller by itself, (100A start / 35A run). I have had mine installed for about 5 years now without a problem. Maybe the Spal problem was because they used the built in relay directly rather than as a control relay.

Good luck,

peace.gif

schematic.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sufferedformula