VIN numbers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2dumbnotto

Reaction score
I'm looking for the VIN locations on a 78-79 bronco. I'm not stupid so I got the one on the door. Any other spots would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
The doortag is not the best one to use since doors are frequently changed. The most reliable VIN tag to use is the one located on the dashboard. It's on the driver's side right up at the base of the windshield in the corner near the A-pillar. It's most easily read by standing outside the truck and reading it by looking thru the windshield at the dash. There are other locations on the frame but those vary from year to year, I can maybe still find the info in my old Academy notebooks but they're stored somewhere up in the attic. Use the dash VIN, it's far and away the easiest & most reliable.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
The VIN will also be stamped on top of the passenger-side frame rail, right by the firewall in the engine bay. JSM84

Last edited by a moderator:

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Sure is, but have you ever tried to *read* that one <grin>. After a few years on the road you pretty much need a wire wheel & some mild acid. I have some interesting info about that stuff left over from my days as a LEO, I'll have to look and see if I can dig it up. Used to have step-by-step directions on how to steal GM F-bodies that was confiscated from an inmate who was seling the papers for cigarettes & "favors". FBI agent came out to in-service the local PD's and handed out a lot of info on VIN's while he was there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23