Tailgate Window Safety

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moses46

Reaction score
We (Sharon Civil Defense) just replaced the tailgate on our 92 Bronco with a certiofied replacement part. After putting everything together, we can't open the window. We were able to work the motor with a 12V battery so we could store it back outside. After troubleshooting, we determined that the problem was with the switch that prevents you from operating the window with the tailgate down. The harness we reused doesn't look like the ones in the Broncograveyard photos. There is only a plug with 4 sockets that attaches to the truck harness and a ground lug that is screwed in behind the tail light assembly. The only switch was the one on the key lock. What are we missing?

truckdriva

if it aint broke, fix it anyway!
Reaction score
The tailgate latch on the drivers side lets the truck know that the gate is shut. Make sure that when you shut the tailgate, it latches completely, or the window will not operate. The latches can develope some slop over a period of time. Also check and make sure that you didn't crimp any wires when you installed the harness in the tailgate. The contacts in the rear window switch are very fragile and will burn if anything is amiss.

dirt

Reaction score
you can easily bypass the safety switch. with the window up, you can access the inside part of teh drivr's side latch. there is a small electrial connector on it. when i bypassed my safety switch, i unplugged this connector and used a 4" piece of 14g wire w/ 2 male conectors on it and plugged it into the latch where the connector was. you just gotta make sure that you are either supporting the window if you let it out while the tailgate is down, or make sure the tailgate is shut enuf to send the window up through the tracks in the shell. if you need pics, i can get pics of the jumper wire i created, and the latch, showing where the plug goes, since i have a spare latch in my garage.

hope this helps and makes sense.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK