Should I sell her or keep her

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rlynch131

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am in a position where I have had my Bronco longer that a few wives. But I am in a position that I need income more than I am using my Bronco. I have come to a place that I never thought I would be. While I realize that I have a rare and sought after friend, it is still, and will always be my dependable friend.

I have posted the standard Craigs list post with little to no interested parties, the few that realize the value of my gem picked her apart to pieces. I need your help. I also have a 2001 F250 Super Duty XLT Lariat Club cab.

My dilemma, do I sell the Bronco for what I can get for her and betray my friend, or do I sell the F250 and use the extra capital to improve my old friend.

I have attached some pics for your review, and comments. Keep in mind that the ole' Bronco is rust free, mechanically sound, and is in need of some dent repair, but she is also 30 something years old. The 01 F250 is pretty, only 8 years old, and runs great.

Appreciate all your comments,

-broncoron

DSC_0083.JPG

DSC_0085.JPG

DSC_0086.JPG

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Yeah, tough decision. I really sucks when some zipperhead comes to look at your ride and harps on every defect making it sound like it's a rolling death trap he'd be embarrassed to be seen in. But on the other hand I know from buying more than a few trucks over the years that that's your job as a buyer, to point out & exaggerate every flaw in an effort to sow doubt in the owner's mind about the worth or condition of his vehicle. Sometimes it can be a hardball game.

Having said that, sell it. Sell it now & sell it dirt cheap. Oh yeah & by the way just *where* do you live again ? I'll be over tomorrow to get that unsightly death-trap out of your driveway :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

On a more serious note it IS a difficult decision and there are a number of factors to consider.

The F250 will probably be more versatile and will offer you better mileage and drive-ability. It has a better ride and is more comfortable with modern conveniences.

The Bronco however *is* a classic truck and as many of us know the 78/79's are considered to be among the most desirable having the straight front axle and gear driven transfer case. It's a very stout & robust platform. It's much easier to diagnose & repair problems on your own without needing to bring it to a dealer or shop and you can actually work on the thing with nothing more than hand tools & a test light. You don't need a laptop, cables & multimeter to figure out what's wrong. Parts are generally cheaper and with the possible exception of rebuilding the C6 & regearing the axles there really isn't anything on there that you can't either fix yourself of have guys here in the forum walk you through. It's nice to be able to carry more than a single passenger in comfort and a lot of people really enjoy the semi-convertible aspect of being able to remove the reap cap.

From *my* point of view the Bronco looks to be in excellent shape as a starting point for a full restoration. Selling the F250 would net you enough cash to *do* a proper restoration (rebuilt engine & transmission, reconditioning the interior and doing the body-work & painting it). When finished you'd have a 30yr old classic truck that's been completely rebuilt and is ready to go another 25-30 years. Spending some additional cash to convert to fuel injection & replace the original suspension would really be worthwhile upgrades.

In the end it comes down to what you really *want* and that's one you'll just have to think over until you reach a decision you're comfortable with but it sounds like you really do want to keep the Bronco and are just trying to find good enough reasons to justify the choice.

Let us know what you ultimately decide to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fritz180

Reaction score
I use to live on the corner of 23rd and tonto. I have the brown and white 78.. But I moved back to new jersey... all in all though thats a hard decision to make.. 2 nice trucks.. I believe the bronco was nicer though.. in my own opinion

OP
OP
R

rlynch131

Reaction score
Yeah, tough decision. I really sucks when some zipperhead comes to look at your ride and harps on every defect making it sound like it's a rolling death trap he'd be embarrassed to be seen in. But on the other hand I know from buying more than a few trucks over the years that that's your job as a buyer, to point out & exaggerate every flaw in an effort to sow doubt in the owner's mind about the worth or condition of his vehicle. Sometimes it can be a hardball game.
Having said that, sell it. Sell it now & sell it dirt cheap. Oh yeah & by the way just *where* do you live again ? I'll be over tomorrow to get that unsightly death-trap out of your driveway :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

On a more serious note it IS a difficult decision and there are a number of factors to consider.

The F250 will probably be more versatile and will offer you better mileage and drive-ability. It has a better ride and is more comfortable with modern conveniences.

The Bronco however *is* a classic truck and as many of us know the 78/79's are considered to be among the most desirable having the straight front axle and gear driven transfer case. It's a very stout & robust platform. It's much easier to diagnose & repair problems on your own without needing to bring it to a dealer or shop and you can actually work on the thing with nothing more than hand tools & a test light. You don't need a laptop, cables & multimeter to figure out what's wrong. Parts are generally cheaper and with the possible exception of rebuilding the C6 & regearing the axles there really isn't anything on there that you can't either fix yourself of have guys here in the forum walk you through. It's nice to be able to carry more than a single passenger in comfort and a lot of people really enjoy the semi-convertible aspect of being able to remove the reap cap.

From *my* point of view the Bronco looks to be in excellent shape as a starting point for a full restoration. Selling the F250 would net you enough cash to *do* a proper restoration (rebuilt engine & transmission, reconditioning the interior and doing the body-work & painting it). When finished you'd have a 30yr old classic truck that's been completely rebuilt and is ready to go another 25-30 years. Spending some additional cash to convert to fuel injection & replace the original suspension would really be worthwhile upgrades.

In the end it comes down to what you really *want* and that's one you'll just have to think over until you reach a decision you're comfortable with but it sounds like you really do want to keep the Bronco and are just trying to find good enough reasons to justify the choice.

Let us know what you ultimately decide to do.
Bronco bill you totally nailed it. I have "rebuilt" my ole Bronco 3 times, have had it for a long time and afraid that I would never forgive myself for "giving" it away to someone that was clueless.

I know I could sell the F250 to "fix" my Bornc. The dilemma is with me as well as my family. They love the comfort (and I like the reliability) of the F250. What they do not know about the capability, fixability, and history of my Bronco drives them to think of her as an old fixer-upper, not what I see as a classy & tough truck.

The F250 has leather, heated seats, power windows, etc.. While my trusty friend has none of the above. It all boils down to growing a pair and making a decision.

I have to say that your comments have helped me do that.

Thanks,

OP
OP
R

rlynch131

Reaction score
I use to live on the corner of 23rd and tonto. I have the brown and white 78.. But I moved back to new jersey... all in all though thats a hard decision to make.. 2 nice trucks.. I believe the bronco was nicer though.. in my own opinion
I remember you, did you get the front end fixed?

Fritz180

Reaction score
yea, I fixed it in the street, with a come a long, and a torch. Since I'm back in home with a good job, I can fix it the correct way and do some more modifications to it.. One of the things I miss though, is finding parts for these trucks out there are very common and not rusted. Finding parts out here are like looking for a needle in a hay stack, and chances are they either want to much money for them or just too rusted.

BRONCADONK

Reaction score
sell the f250, you can always buy another. you'r bronco deserves a good home. besides who needs leather, and all those other modern comforts. i'll bet you didn't even think about stuff like that back when the bronco was you'r daily driver. put it this way the bronco will only increase it's value, will the f250 ever be considered a classic? that is if it even lasts 30 years. besides you'll get more money for the f250. sure the f250 is nice and comfy, but is it nearly as fun? one more thing to think about. what do you think a possible buyer might do to you're old friend. take it from me i rescued mine just in time. another year and it would have been at pick in pull.

19Bronco89

Reaction score
I came to that same dilemma, I have a 2004 gmc sierra crew cab 2500, and my 89 EB, my ex-girlfriend told me one of them had to go, and needless to say I'm single now, and happier than I've ever been lol. I came so close to selling my bronc, and I would have been kickin myself in the a$$ if i did. your truck will never betray you, or sleep with your best friend haha.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
didn'thappen