Rearend Swap Need Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kelly

Reaction score
i have a 93 bronco with the stock rearend, an 8.8. i found a ford 9 inch from a 79 E250. is it swapable and what's involved?

davids78bronco

fabricator extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yeah, it's do-able, as long as you, somehow, install the VSS ring in the 9"s 3rd member, and change either the driveline yoke to match the 9" yoke, or change the 9" yoke to a ****** style

OP
OP
K

kelly

Reaction score
thanks for the reply. have any info on putting the VSS in and changing the yoke? i noticed the difference in how the driveshaft hooks up. this is my first rearend project and any help would be appreciated.

davids78bronco

fabricator extraordinaire
Reaction score
I've never done this myself, but of the few I have seen, the tone ring was welded to the 9" carrier. Changing the yoke is as simple as finding the correct one. But, you might also want to pick up a rear diff overhaul kit too

jfrbronco

Reaction score
I going through this myself,have a 94 just striped a rearend out of a 89 but the yokes don't make.

1 should I change the yoke and use the 89?

2 if I'm going to change the yokes should I just leave the 94 housing together on the truck so I don't have to mess with the brakes and swaping it all over and just do the interals?

3 any daigrams out there for me to look at?

4 have done gear changes alot on f-body's but this is my first ford ( for that matter 4x4 )

any help or advice would be great and help both of us.

Thanks JFR-

sweepersrgr8

"GET ER DONE"
Reaction score
You also want to make sure the 9" gears are the same as the 8.8". If they are too far off you could F@#% your transfer case, or front drive shaft. The internals are NOT interchangable!

4xfan78

Reaction score
I was told that the 70's van 9" rearends were longer than the truck rearends. I would measure the distance from drum-to-drum, and from spring pad to spring pad then compare with the 8.8.

sweepersrgr8

"GET ER DONE"
Reaction score
Van rear ends have an offset carrier. The passenger side axle is shorter than the drivers side.

Sorry Kelly, I just noticed you said E250 and not F250. I dont think you can use this 9" rear.

Do like 4Xfan78 said, you will see that one side is longer than the other. :((

OP
OP
K

kelly

Reaction score
thanks for all the info guys. i haven't had a chance to pick up the rearend yet but when i looked at it i didn't notice an offset but i was just eyeballing it. i intended to take some measurements when i got it.

OP
OP
K

kelly

Reaction score
i did some measuring and one side is longer by two inches and the spring pads and one shock mount would have to be moved. it's not a direct swap but i've been researching and it's possible to modify. it's a 31 spline so i can shorten the longer axle. everything else is just cutting and welding. i haven't found any info on the best way to shorten the axle tube and reweld the ******. i also need to know the right spots to measure from. the center of the yoke or the center of the pumpkin?

Txquadhunter

Reaction score
E250? It wouldn't have a 9" but a 8-lug Dana 60 unless someone swapped an E150 9" in it. If you want a 9" in your Bronco look under the early 80's 80-86 and get one ready to swap right in with no fab work needed wbut the VSS ring. If it's 8-lug your going after the late model F250/350's with the Sterlin 10.25 are much stronger then the old D60 rears. Plus has the VSS already in it.

OP
OP
K

kelly

Reaction score
i made sure it was a 9 inch before i got it. front carrier case and it matched up with every picture i could find. if the modifications are going to be too much then i'll find one that fits. which ever one i got i was going to overhaul anyway but this was free so i wanted to see if it would work.

Txquadhunter

Reaction score
i made sure it was a 9 inch before i got it. front carrier case and it matched up with every picture i could find. if the modifications are going to be too much then i'll find one that fits. which ever one i got i was going to overhaul anyway but this was free so i wanted to see if it would work.
Since it was Free and the Right gear ratio in the 3rd member. hit the junk yards looking for a core rearend that the gears are shot in the 80-86 4x4 range cheap. That way if the gears in the Free 9" you got are good you'll have a good 3rd member to slide right into a good housing and axles. why 4x4 is because they use a wider leaf spring perch then a 2wd model. If i remember right the 2wds use a 3" wide sring and perch while the 4x4's use a 4" wide spring.

indoz

Reaction score
Go to www.fordmuscle.com/archives and you will get alot of info you could use.

Henk from Oz

OP
OP
K

kelly

Reaction score
got the rearend all torn apart and everything is in really good shape except for the 3:29 gears. the carrier is open and i don't think that's what i want. i just learned what that does. i've seen articles on trucks that run open diffs but i don't know the benefits of them.

OP
OP
K

kelly

Reaction score
would it be better to just install a locker or a limited slip with a locker?

sweepersrgr8

"GET ER DONE"
Reaction score
It all depends on you. The Detroit locker is the strongest, but makes a clunking noise when the gears disengage in a turn. A small drawback to the added strength.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david@holycitytransportat