No Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

Thanks Joe!  Always need more info~

check the fuel pump relay when cranking the engine over. Not the 2 second run after the key is turned on, but while cranking the engine. If the fuel pump relay kicks on when cranking, the TFI & Stator are good..."
Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50)

Troubleshooting Worksheet; miesk5 Note; this is the Grey Module
Source: by SeattleFSB (Seattle FSB)

Wiring Diagrams (Partial, Bronco similar) for F 150 in 86, 89, 91 & 95; EEC, Start/Ignition, EFI/Fuel System, Emissions, E4OD, AOD/C6 (+ clutch interlock switch), etc. from Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual (EVTM)
Source: by Ford via Ryan M (Fireguy50)

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
check the fuel pump relay when cranking the engine over. Not the 2 second run after the key is turned on, but while cranking the engine. If the fuel pump relay kicks on when cranking, the TFI & Stator are good..."

That's a great tip!

Probably a little difficult to HEAR the pump over the sound of cranking the engine though. I guess one could back probe the fuel cut off switch with a test light while cranking.

Ohhhh.... on the same thought, while cranking the engine, if the PCM is getting a PIP signal, the CEL will go out.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Yeah, true, but that was 2-3 months ago, AND he didn't say that it was running while cranking the engine. Frankly, if it was me, I wouldn't have made mention of it either, but now that the subject has come up, it is something worth taking note of.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo JOE,

Yes, but I forgot to include what Chuckles wrote yesterday;

Posted Yesterday, 11:26 AM

"I used another vehicle to jump it yesterday for testing purposes.

Heard the fuel pump whine and the CEL lit up."

My Comcast BLAST (HIGHEST $ Internet) is so freakin's slow as usual... I was trying to verify Chuckles testing and confirming Pin and wire colors in the pics he posted, but it took many minites to load them in another window and then pull up;

So C or you can use this info; I'll be getting some pre-surg testing tomorrow; may have to stay there for awhile.

Wiring Diagram in an 89

Source: by SeattleFSB

Troubleshooting Worksheet; miesk5 Note; this is the Grey Module

Source: by SeattleFSB (Seattle FSB

No Spark Troubleshooting, General; "...Secondary ignition voltage can shock you. Do NOT hold or touch a spark plug wire while cranking the engine. disconnect one of the plug wires from a spark plug and place the end of the wire near a metal surface on the engine. You can insert a small Phillips screwdriver into the end of the wire (the plug boot), or a small bolt or nail to provide a conductive path. Then crank the engine and look for a spark to jump from the screwdriver, bolt or nail in the end of the plug wire to the engine. If you do not see a spark, there is an ignition problem..."

Source: by aa1car.com

Stator and TFI both share the same grounds and power circuits, when one fails the other might be bad as well. It�s a standard practice at dealerships and most quality repair shops to replace the TFI and stator at the same time. This prevents the problem from re-appearing a few weeks latter.

Consider Ford Fuel Injection and Electronic Engine Control: How to Understand, Service and Modify, 1988-1993; & Ford Fuel Injection and Electronic Engine Control: How to Understand, Service, and Modify All Ford-Lincoln-Mercury Cars and Light Trucks, 1980 to 1987 by Charles Probst

avail @ BARNES & NOBLE, AMAZON, E BAY, ETC.

Last edited by a moderator:

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Yes Al, I saw that.

yo JOE,

Yes, but I forgot to include what Chuckles wrote yesterday;

Posted Yesterday, 11:26 AM

"I used another vehicle to jump it yesterday for testing purposes.

Heard the fuel pump whine and the CEL lit up."
As you know, when you first turn the key to ON the fuel pump should whine/run for a second or two, and the CEL should light.

If the pump didn't run, we'd have to find out why not. But it did run, so that's good. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

As you mentioned above, that as long as the PCM is getting a PIP signal, (while cranking, or running) the PCM should continue to trigger the FP relay, and the FP should continue to run.

Also if the PCM is getting a PIP signal, it should turn off the CEL light while cranking (maybe not if it is lit because of stored codes... that I don't know).

So NOW the questions are...

1. did the fuel pump CONTINUE to whine while cranking?

2. Did the CEL light go off while cranking?

Oh.. and now I have a third question.

When you turn the key to ON, does the fuel pump run for a second or two, and then turn off?

OP
OP
C

chuckles1856

Reaction score
OK ....thanks for all the help, tips and just generally good positive thoughts!

Ran through the self diag tests again.

Power at the coil.

Everything checked out OK from the ICM side of things.

That pointed me to the coil.  I plugged up the new coil that I had originally bought and it fired right up.

Two busted components can you believe that!  Murphys law hard at work on this one.

ps --  Forgot to mention you all are the best!    :)

And miesk5 -- hope all went well with the pre-surgry testing.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo C,

GREAT!

Stuff happens and having two issues at same time will boogle da mind!

All went well, will get robot surgery Monday and be back thereafter.

Hope the robot has Ford parts in it!

OP
OP
C

chuckles1856

Reaction score
miesk5  -- "new" Ford parts  :)   Hope all goes well with the surgery.

BroncoJoe -- Yes Sir!   Time to tear through some flower beds.  Just kidding.  :)

Happy Trails!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23