New to the bronco world...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atpittman0103

Reaction score
My name is andrew and i live in new jersey right outside of princeton. just got the 94 bronco and i am in love with it. got some stuff done but i am just getting started!! love this site already... im learning a ton. thanks for all the knowledge sharing from everyone! keep on roading...

truckkk.jpg

RBuffordTJ

Reaction score
Welcome Andrew, the Zone is the place to be if you want information on that good lookin' truck. I am about to make mine ******* for the summer but I have to get it ready for possible rainy weather so few things have to be adjusted first.

Rick in Orlando

OP
OP
A

atpittman0103

Reaction score
Thanks man! yeah it was only ******* for a few hours cause it hit 70 degrees in jersey and i was dying to check it out. I also rigged up 2 backseats sideways in the back so it was alot easier with the top off to get them set up. I am having terrible problems now though after this sunday. the only conclusion ive come up with so far is it might actually be hydro locked! uhh but no worries, im not giving up on this thing, ill swap the motor if i have to. any input on obvious signs if its hydro locked? i never buried the thing but the air filter on the intake was/is soaking wet. im new to the truckin world after getting rid of my fox body mustang and this is dampering my fun! any input or help would be great...thanks again for the welcome!

RBuffordTJ

Reaction score
Thanks man! yeah it was only ******* for a few hours cause it hit 70 degrees in jersey and i was dying to check it out. I also rigged up 2 backseats sideways in the back so it was alot easier with the top off to get them set up. I am having terrible problems now though after this sunday. the only conclusion ive come up with so far is it might actually be hydro locked! uhh but no worries, im not giving up on this thing, ill swap the motor if i have to. any input on obvious signs if its hydro locked? i never buried the thing but the air filter on the intake was/is soaking wet. im new to the truckin world after getting rid of my fox body mustang and this is dampering my fun! any input or help would be great...thanks again for the welcome!
Your air filter was soaked with what? Gas? Water?

I'm not familiar with "hydro lock", is that the same thing as "Vapor locked"?

I am sure someone much smarter than me could help but I will do what I can.

OP
OP
A

atpittman0103

Reaction score
It was basically soaked with mud/water. Hydro locking (from what im told) is when your engine sucks up water through the intake and locks/seizes. What is vapor locking? The only thing anyone has been able to tell me for a possible fix is take the whole top end off the engine and check it out but its not exactly easing climbing in and out of a lifted bronco to do all that in my driveway.

RBuffordTJ

Reaction score
Oh, gotcha. You have water in the intake.

First remove that air filter completely, if it is soaked it won't be able to pull air in and get the mix it needs to fire anyway, you would be choking the engine and if it sucks hard enough the water is going inside.

If the engine is still turning over and it is not locked up then there should be a much easier fix. I don't have a mechanic answer here but what I would try first is the follwoing:

1. Remove the filter completely

2. Get some engine starter fluid and spray it inside the intake as and try to crank it. You need to see if you can get any fire. Unless there is water pooled in the intake you should be able to get it cranked and burn out what is there. I may be wrong but I would think so.

What did you do to **** in that much water?

OP
OP
A

atpittman0103

Reaction score
Yeah i took off the intake actually and it didnt make much of a difference. Im gonna try the starter fluid trick this afternoon. All i was doing was hitting some trails with some huge puddles. (about 3 feet deep and at times 40 to 50 feet long.) its nothing my truck cant handle. i got a 4 inch body lift with 35 in tsl boggers. i didnt hit any puddles at 30 mph either. i was just crawling through them to avoid any problems like this. the truck shut off at one point shifting from reverse to drive but started right back up. then i lost power again coming out of a puddle and needed a tow 40 miles all the way back to my house. i thought it might just be a bad battery connection cause power was coming and going but once i fixed that it still wouldnt turn over and now makes a completely different noise. it does sound like its just all clogged up but idk. thanks for your help so far.

RBuffordTJ

Reaction score
Yeah i took off the intake actually and it didnt make much of a difference. Im gonna try the starter fluid trick this afternoon. All i was doing was hitting some trails with some huge puddles. (about 3 feet deep and at times 40 to 50 feet long.) its nothing my truck cant handle. i got a 4 inch body lift with 35 in tsl boggers. i didnt hit any puddles at 30 mph either. i was just crawling through them to avoid any problems like this. the truck shut off at one point shifting from reverse to drive but started right back up. then i lost power again coming out of a puddle and needed a tow 40 miles all the way back to my house. i thought it might just be a bad battery connection cause power was coming and going but once i fixed that it still wouldnt turn over and now makes a completely different noise. it does sound like its just all clogged up but idk. thanks for your help so far.
So the starter is turning? If not that my indicate you have gotten too much water in the starter or solinoid. If it is turning over but nto firing your ignition system my be too wet, check the coil packs (I think that is right for that year), plug wires, even your alternator may be drenched.

Does the starter spin the motor?

Does starter not move at all?

Are you getting spark to the wires, you have to pull one and test it to see?

You might be dealing with an electric issue more than water in the intake.

Rick in Orlando

Yardape

Reaction score
If you engine is hydrolocked it means that you sucked water into you combustion chambers. Water doesnt compress so the engine will not turn over. If you try to start it you will cause some major internal engine damage. A common result of hydrolocking is bent connecting rods, thats bad. If your engine is locked up, mark your sparkplug wires, remove them, pull all the spark plugs and crank the engine over. Let it crank over for a few minutes, what this does is it allows the water to go somewhere, it will actually spray out of the sparkplug holes.

RBuffordTJ

Reaction score
Thanks for popping in Yardape, I have never been in that situation. I will file that for later.

Rick in Orlando

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23