My 70 Bronco Restoration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MBell70

Reaction score
I have been restoring my 1970 Bronco since July 2003. This is a complete frame off restoration. This bronco has been passed down from my older brother to my middle brother and then I bought it in 1996. It was my daily driver for 3 years and I bought a truck. I decide that it needed a frame off restoration. I have done almost all the work myself, except for lifting off the body (I need some help with that) and the custom exhaust (local shop).

Here is a list of all the things I have done:

Replaced all rusty panels

Media blasted tub, fenders, hood, doors, etc.

Media blasted frame and axles.

Rebuilt Engine, NP435 Transmission, Dana 20 Transfer case

Installed James Duff Long Radius Arms.

James Duff 3.5 inch front spring

Jeff Bronco 3.5 inch rear spring

Jeff Bronco Super Flex front Shock Hoops.

23 gallon gas tank

Custom made InBoard shock hoop on rear.

Dual 2 1/4 exhaust with Magnaflow Mufflers

Custom Hydraulic Clutch Setup

Centerforce Clutch

Beard Sportster HB front Seats

Beard Sportster bench seat in rear.

Gusseted and braced rear axle

All new stainless steel brake lines.

Jeff Bronco Headers

Body - Engine Compartment, underneath and inside tube Hippo-Lined with Denim Blue Metillac color.

plenty more

I am currently working on the body in preparation for paint. I am looking to have it done the First of July. The outside will be painted Denim Blue Metallic. I will post more picture as the things get done. Hopefully someone can get some ideas from my project and if you would like some more information just e-mail me.

100_0549.JPG100_0550.JPG100_0558.JPG100_0568_1.JPG100_0598.JPG100_0600.JPG

broncobenny

Broncobenny
Reaction score
Hey MBell, outstanding!!!! I'm doing a 74' and you're about 6 months ahead of me.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
M

MBell70

Reaction score
Here are some other picture of the Bronco. The First is the Dash before Clear Coat. I moved the glove box over 2.5 inches to clear the roll bar. I couldn't use the glove box before. The next two pictures are of my nephew wanting to Drive the Bronco and enjoying my new Beard Seats. [-o< The Last picture is the tub on a rotessoire I built to work on the body, which made it a breeze.

100_0603.JPG 100_0601.JPG 100_0602.JPG 100_0589.JPG

buckin-rite

Reaction score
Whats up MBell?! hey the rig that you have for handling your tub/body what is it? is it home made? does it rotate 360? i'm doing a 73 and i'm having a hard time handling the tub, need some ideas.

OP
OP
M

MBell70

Reaction score
I built the Rotessoire myself. I looked at some other people online and decided the I could build my own, since I am an Engineer. I made some drawings and figure out what I needed. It costed about $350 dollars for all the materials. I had some bearing blocks at home so I decided to use them instead of the tubing, but after working with it I decided I should have went with DOM tubing for the pivot points. You can drill holes in the 2.5 Tube every 45 degrees and then drill 1 thru hole in the 3 in tubing and use a bolt to lock it in the position. I am posting the drawing and a couple more pics.

Stand.JPG 100_0469.JPG 100_0480.JPG

Bandit

BANDIT
Reaction score
I built the Rotessoire myself. I looked at some other people online and decided the I could build my own, since I am an Engineer. I made some drawings and figure out what I needed. It costed about $350 dollars for all the materials. I had some bearing blocks at home so I decided to use them instead of the tubing, but after working with it I decided I should have went with DOM tubing for the pivot points. You can drill holes in the 2.5 Tube every 45 degrees and then drill 1 thru hole in the 3 in tubing and use a bolt to lock it in the position. I am posting the drawing and a couple more pics.

View attachment 2898 View attachment 2899 View attachment 2900
Could you give me some pointers on replacing the front clip,and core support?I am worried about alignment.

Thanks,

BANDIT <)

broncobenny

Broncobenny
Reaction score

View attachment 2898 View attachment 2899 View attachment 2900

Hey Mbell, that's a nice rig you have your tub on. For what it's worth, I did a lot of research on the roto's, the last calculation I made pointed out the fact that I couldn't rotate the tub inside my garage and that its a little downhill just outside my garage, so rolling it in and out would require help and I got rid of the helper 10 years ago. Just a word of caution from a jealous guy. Wish I had more room!!!! Mine ended up on it's back,looking like a dead cockroach!!!

EB1.jpg

OP
OP
M

MBell70

Reaction score
To Bandit,

I didn't have to replace my core support or my wheels tubs on my bronco. I had to replace the inner fender and kick-panels. I did the majority of the body work on the frame. I left the front body mounts attached. Definitely measure about 10 times before you remove anything and make sketchs of the front. . I would suggest starting with one side and leave the core support in place. Use some 1x1 tubing to make sure your core support does not move. Install the new inner fender and wheel tub. Tack weld to hold things in place. When one side is done remove the other side and install the new panel. Mark the location of the core support on the inner fender. When both side have been replaced then I would replace the core support. Make sure to measure everything and dont fully weld anything until everything is in place.

To BroncoBenny

When I designed this rotessoire I made it so the body can sit as low to the ground as possible. I set my height so that the body just clears the 2x2 tubing which is about 5 inches off the ground to the top of the 2x2. I have a 7 foot garage door and I was able to roll the bronco in and out of my garage with the bronco rotated on its edge.

100_0542.JPG100_0536.JPG

OP
OP
M

MBell70

Reaction score
Here are some updated pictures. I got the wiring harness in and fired the engine. Runs great. Just tieing up some loose ends and then I am going to start getting the final body work done.

101_0625.JPG 101_0627_.JPG

webb2006

Reaction score
I am currently sand blasting everything on my 71. What kind of paint did you use on your frame and engine/transmission.

OP
OP
M

MBell70

Reaction score
Current status.

Started engine on June 24, ran great and sounds awesome. Wiring 95% complete. Haven't worked on lately because of the 100 degree temperature in my garage when I get off work since June 24. Hoping to get the bodywork/paint job done in the next couple of months. Once I have completed I will put picture on the site.

To answer the question from webb2006:

I used duplicolor High Temp engine paint of the motor, trans, axles, and frame, which is available at Walmart, Checkers, and any parts store. It is about $6.00 a can. If you don't use the primer, the paint will stick better than with primer. Once it has dried it will become extremely hard and tough to remove. I have run it on my axles and it works great. It will not bubble off with high temp from the exhaust since it has ceramic in the paint. If it gets scratched, it is easy to touch up.

Ralphdb

Reaction score
Wow that is a fanastic job. a real toolmanTaylor. I don't have anything to pick off the Body or I would do the same thing..

Ralphdb

Reaction score
Big Country Me too.. I have lots of time but no Resourses. just a concrete slab.. I would give anything for a 15x20 Building. Even have to weld outside..

77Bronco_Minnesota

Reaction score
Looks great!! One question..you said you had to move the glove box? What kind of roll cage are you using? I've been thinking of getting one of the "Family" roll cages will I have a problem with the glove box? Look foward to more pics! Do you have a blog?

Thanks,

Larry

Bronco2.jpg

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23